Active Diggers?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dash 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Chadly
    Participant

Hi, all! Most probably don’t remember me. I joined way back in 2005, and a lot has happened since then. I am now in graduate school, to graduate in 2012. My first pair of gerbils, Phobos and Deimos, passed of old age in 2009. This past weekend I finally set up the tank and got a new pair, Cookies (kind of an ashy black color), and Cream (kind of an off-white color). Both are male.

My question is this. So far, Cream, the bigger of the two, seems to be a much more active digger than either in my previous pair, so much so that their food bowl seems to get buried more quickly and more often, and I’m afraid that they are going to be unable to find the food. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Will this digging lessen once they become more adjusted to their new home? Thanks!

Dash
    Participant

Gerbils are usually very active diggers. You’re better off just scatter feeding with gerbils. They can smell where the food is and you don’t have to worry about lost food dishes. 😛

Maybe also check out egerbil.com. It’s like the best gerbil website out there!

Susan76
    Participant

Mine tunnel and dig and were having their food bowl always somewhere in the bedding so I started placing the bowl near the front of the cage, under the bedding at the bottom of the cage. They created a tunnel to the bowl and they seem happy with that and I always know where the bowl is now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.