cats

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  katecatgal69 14 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

BLUSKYS246
    Participant

How long does it take a cat to have her babies? I know this is a silly question seeing how i help animals but I was just wondering. thanks for your help!

katecatgal69
    Participant

I just checked in my cats for dummies book and it is 66 days from ovulation. You should be able to tell if she is pregnant as her nipples get darker and you will notice her getting fatter. Soon you should be able to feel the kittens. About 2 weeks to a week before she is ready to give birth she will start looking for a place to have them. I brought a big dogs beds made of plastic and encouraged mine to stay there. 2 of them did have them in there and the other one was difficult and kept going into a cupboard!! But when the time came she had them in the basket.

Hope this helped!

Kate:angel5:

BLUSKYS246
    Participant

thanks you relly did help! i can already fell the kittens moving when i touch her stomac!

katecatgal69
    Participant

Glad I could help.

If you need any other info let me know. When she has them it is the most amazing thing. Best thing to do is to let her get on with it. The averge birth from when she starts to push is usually within an hour of her pushing and a discharge. Let her do the work unless she has been straining for more than 20 minutes then you may want to be at the ready to help her. But she can usually take care of them herself. When they are born just make sure within the 1st minute of them popping out that she breaks the seal on the sac so that they can breath. She should automatically go and clean them but if not just tear it away. Usually after the first one is born she will expell the placenta within about 10 minutes. Gross as it is let her eat it if she wants, it has wonderful nutrients for her and the kittens. The next kitten should come within 15-30 minutes of their sibling and so on till they are all out.

What I found and can not prove it scientifically!! but the last one born seemed to wiggle their way up to her privates just before the next kitten was born!! I figured they were like the welcome wagon, giving the ok to the next one to come out!! This of course could have just been my cats. But all 3 of mine that gave birth did the same thing!! Weird but cute!!

Mama kitty should wash them clean and dry them and then some how they find their way to the nipple but if it looks like one is straying away and not getting the nipple try and place them in the vicinity.

You really should keep your hands away from them but depending on your mama cats personality mine all seemed to happily let me pick them up and examine them all.

I gave a reward to all of my mama cats the next day. A can of salmon. I figured it was a good reward for all their hard work!!!

Would suggest getting the cats for dummies book as helpful for all kinds of cat situations.

Enjoy the birthing process but remember to get mama fixed asap as it will shorten her life if she keeps having kittens. Soon as mine had weaned all of the kittens I got them fixed.

GOOD LUCK
    KATE

:agree:

brandy pup
    Participant

Hi you do rescue right? Is this a rescued cat or your cat? Are you aware of early spay and neuters? they can be done on a healthy kittens 8 weeks old and 2 lbs. Also if she is not far along you can still have her spayed and give the kittens that are already looking for homes a better chance of finding one.

In any case please make sure they all get spayed and nuetered so you can help stop the cycle.

BLUSKYS246
    Participant

yes she is a rescue at i saved her from people that didnt want her!How could anyone not want such a beautiful baby! she will be spayed asap after the birth i would never abort the babies.I will fix the babbies too as soon as they are old enough. by the way guessing on how i can fell the cats in her stomac she has maybe less then 2 weeks. I know since it it my choice to abort the babies or not im going to keep her and her babies if there isnt to many but even if there are alot iam going to keep at least some.

brandy pup
    Participant

Well don’t take on too much, I saw your website and it looks like you have lots of bunnys. 🙂 I want to commend you on your checking referances for your bunnys and doing so much for them.

The prego spay isn’t for everyone and I fault no one for how they feel on it one way or another. At least you seem pretty reposible about what to look for in a new home and the importance of fixing them first. You could also start interviews for the home now and put them on your website and start passing it around.

Anyway, good luck with your critters. Thanks for helping them.

BLUSKYS246
    Participant

I am young but i do most of the work myself i started the rescue! Im 1 but know what i am doing we do not let any anmal out without fixing them first ad that they are up to date on shots we tell people that we dont recommed a certian animal for them we just dont wanna get them adopted we want to find the there FOREVER home. The website to my rescue is http://justinsstory.freewebpages.org/page4.htm the rescue is called BluSky`s Rescue and my name is sky .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.