Do squirrels make good pets?

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Squirrel Forums Do squirrels make good pets?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Guitarlover 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Deavon
    Participant

I love squirrels (always thought it would be kinda neat to tame them like my uncle does…he feeds them peanuts outside, they all gather round it’s really cute), have always heard stories about people raising them from babies that got lost or what not. You’ve probably gotten this question a million times, but do squirrels make good pets :blush1: ? I know that they’re smart and humerous and all, but aren’t they a little destructive since that’s their nature? Can you keep wood furniture? And do you let them wander all over the house or keep them in a cage? Thanks 😉

-Deavon

glidergrl1513
    Participant

I’ve only had one squirrel (a baby that fell out of a tree and landed on our driveway *ouch!*) but we didn’t get to spend much time with him, we gave him to a rehad facility shortly after taking him in. I’ve been reading about flying squirrels as pets lately, though.

Most people keep them in a cage (large like a sugar glider cage) most of the day (or carry them in a pouch or something, since they’re nocturnal) and let them out in a squirrel-proof room for playtime at night, but they are supervised. They can form a very strong bond with their owner, if cared for from a baby.

I don’t know much about other kinds of squirrels, but hopefully that helped a little.

Zouave
    Participant

Keeping them in a cage is cruel. Except at night.

I have seen many sites with squirrels as pets, BUT they very likely will climb (and shred) your drapes, scratch at the floor as if digging, and undoubtedly gnaw something for their ever-growing teeth; perhaps that can be discouraged with walnuts and the like.

In NYC, where I am, squirrels are illegal as pets.

If you rescued one as a baby, well, maybe. But I wouldn’t encourage it. Their claws are like needles (to climb trees) so although gentle tameable creatures, you can be easily scratched unless you wear heavy long sleeve shirts.

Kayl
    Participant

It depends on how big the cage is Zouve. And saying it’s cruel to keep them in a cage except at night doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, at least to flying squirrel owners, as flyers are nocturnal. My flyers have a 2x2x4 cage. They were older when I got them, so they haven’t really bonded to me, but at night I open the door and Icarus comes out to get his cuddle and yogurt drop, then goes back in to his cage.

Everything I’ve read about gray squirrels as pets says that they get…er…tetchy as they get older and don’t make that great a pet.

Zouave
    Participant

I wasn’t refering to flying squirrels, but to the very ubiquitous gray squirrels. They sleep at night, and are most busy at dawn and dusk. Keeping them locked in a cage all day isn’t right.

Kayl
    Participant

Ah. ‘Kay. And I agree–from what I’ve read, most people who have the patience for gray squirrels let them run around during the day.

Deavon
    Participant

Thanks, I wasn’t really thinking of getting one, just curious. It seems that flying squirrels make better pets than the wild ones raised as babies…probably just from being domesticated as pets for more generations that grey squirrels, right? Do they bond better to other squirrels or to people?

Anyways thanks a bunch for all of your info and experiences!

-Deavon

iluvderick6203
    Participant

Hi I have a gray squirrel named Ivan who was a rescue and he is an awesome pet! And yes squirrels are very destructive. One time when I had him out he started chewing on the vacuum cord!!!! You have to be really careful when you let them out because they are very curious and like to check things out and will nibble on anything. I dont really let him out much because of that. but he seems to love his cage. he has toys and different shelves to climb on and plenty of food and water and his favorite thing…..his towel that he sleeps in. He gets in it at night before I go to bed and wakes me up early in the mornings…..but what you were asking~Yes!!! I believe squirrels make good pets,,,if you have the time for them.

Zouave
    Participant

I was wondering if they GNAW things at home, or just “test nibble”. I once stupidly fed a peanut to one as if feeding a horse! The peanut was in my palm, and the squirrel couldn’t see straight ahead so he nibbled, and stopped as soon as he felt a soft finger. He was gentle, but his teeth were so sharp I still got some bleeding (but no pain).

I wonder of prairie dogs do that, although they won’t climb drapes.

Here are some pet squirrels (and one chipmunk) photos I found on the Web:
    RIGHT HERE

iluvderick6203
    Participant

Hi. My Ivan GNAWS! He chews on anything that is in his path. :hypnotize

GerbilKid12
    Participant

Where do you buy squirrels?

BevSlape
    Participant

I hope squirrel make good pets as it looks like I will be keeping the one that I rescued from a group of kids. She had been hit by a car apparently and had dragged herself aroung for quite a while before a group of kids discovered her and decided to torture her by poking her with sticks and kicking her around. We have beeen taking care of her for over 5 weeks now and she still drags her hind legs a bit.Other than that she is in good health. Her hair has grown back in where she had lost it from dragging herself. I worry that if I let her free she will be caught by a cat or dog. She also seems to be traumatized by what happed because she totally freaks out if I take her cage outside or if I try to take her out of her cage without putting her in the bird cage..(see my other post “new to forum”). She is a sweet little girl and I would hate to have her come to any harm.

Emylee
    Participant

OMG get her to the vet!!!

Did you take her to the vet?? If she’s dragging her legs that means something is broken. PLEASE get her tot he vet ASAP.

Em. 😎

BevSlape
    Participant

Yes… They did what they could for her,gave us medicines and said that only time would tell if she would regain use of her legs. We have had her since the first of May and the vet said if she was going to regain use of them it would probably be in about 6 weeks. She can use her left leg somewhat but when she gets into her basket she still has to drag her right leg in. This would make her very slow in the wild. I would not set her free until I knew that she could climb a tree fast enough that a cat or dog couldn’t get her.

Sheep
    Participant
    GerbilKid12 wrote:
    Where do you buy squirrels?

I too am wondering where I might be able to find a squirrel. I would never want to just take one out of the wild that I found unless it was hurt! Also, is it an absolute requirement that I let it out every day if I give it a generous size cage and provide daily interaction?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.