Does this puppy look healthy to you?

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Dog Forums Does this puppy look healthy to you?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Chicknesholay 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dan and gerbils
    Participant

We are thinking of buying this puppy on the weekend and are a little concerned about its health. It looks slightly drowsy in the picture compared to others ive seen and its nose has a slight flesh colour to it in places, is that normal?

alfie.png

Chicknesholay
    Participant

Ok, here’s my opinion.

If you are asking on a forum to a bunch of strangers about this dogs health rather than asking the breeder then you obviously don’t have the trust or relationship in the breeder that I personally believe one should have if you are going to buy a dog from them.

You should trust your breeder and if you don’t feel that trust then I wouldn’t buy a dog from them.

And no, the first thing I think when I see that puppy is not “healthy” but it’s very hard to tell from a single picture.

Are you comfortable with this breeder? Have you spoken to people that have gotten dogs from him/her? What are the parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc. like? Just remember, the dog is going to be with you for a good long while, make sure you know what you are getting into first.

I just imported a dog from a breeder in Australia which takes a certain leap of faith. But I trusted him implicitly and felt he was doing best for his dogs and for me.

Good luck!

Dan and gerbils
    Participant

@chicknesholay 783620 wrote:

Ok, here’s my opinion.

If you are asking on a forum to a bunch of strangers about this dogs health rather than asking the breeder then you obviously don’t have the trust or relationship in the breeder that I personally believe one should have if you are going to buy a dog from them.

You should trust your breeder and if you don’t feel that trust then I wouldn’t buy a dog from them.

And no, the first thing I think when I see that puppy is not “healthy” but it’s very hard to tell from a single picture.

Are you comfortable with this breeder? Have you spoken to people that have gotten dogs from him/her? What are the parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc. like? Just remember, the dog is going to be with you for a good long while, make sure you know what you are getting into first.

I just imported a dog from a breeder in Australia which takes a certain leap of faith. But I trusted him implicitly and felt he was doing best for his dogs and for me.

Good luck!

Jumping the gun…Just a little XD.

We have gone into great depth with the breeder over its health however I of course wanted a 2nd opinion. I was not expecting a full diagnosis from the picture, however someone could have pointed something out just from the picture.

Yes, we have spoken to the breeder for a great deal of time, she sounds very friendly however there could always be the fact that she may not know it had something. It’s parents and gran parents have all been checked and are fine.

You’re kind of stating the obvious when saying we will be having the dog for a while…We fully understand what were getting into.

The dog was 5 weeks old there, whether that makes any difference or not im no sure.

Chicknesholay
    Participant

As long as you trust the breeder then go for it.

I just know that I never once thought about asking on a forum to a bunch of strangers if a puppy looked healthy from him because A) Every puppy looked to be in the peak of health B) if they were sick I would have trusted him to notice waaaay before I did and C) If I did have a concern I would have asked him, not someone online other than maybe a close friend just to doublt check to see if I was seeing things

I didn’t mean to say that you wouldn’t know a dog hopefully lives a long time, what I meant was this dog is going to be in your house and lives for years and years, make sure you won’t be dealing with a poor temperment and health before you jump in and buy one.

But you said you’ve spoken to this breeder in depth, so if you are comfortable with them than I have nothing else to say. Hope you enjoy your puppy! I imagine if s/he was five weeks there s/he’ll be joining your home soon

Murf55
    Participant

@chicknesholay 783620 wrote:

Ok, here’s my opinion.

Making sure you go to a reputable, ethical breeder is key. However, if anything is in question ask for all medical records & ask about their current vet. You can also have your own vet check out the paperwork. Some breeders have contracts (usually $$$$$ dogs), for health issues.

With puppies its so hard to diagnosis a minor problem. One of my dogs had a liver shunt. Though rare the liver shunt wasn’t even detected until a year in a half later- through many symtoms & finally x-rays. There is no way the original owner, vet or myself could have know. Its one of those things, unless the dog or breed have history with it. Example- like german shepherds with hip and bone problems.

Can’t have 100% guarantees with dogs, babies… even spouses. Even with my dog’s problem (& it costs me much), I still love him and sometimes think what would have happened if he got adopted by a person who wouldn’t want to deal with the shunt. Burrrrr… It would be nice to have a healthy dog, but he’s mine!!

Hope you find the right pup for you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.