Dog Not Eating

PetsHub.com Forums Dog Forums Dog Not Eating

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  petluxury123 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Litamae
    Participant

Hello,
    I am wondering if its “normal” or at least not a worry that my dog seems to be avoiding his food. He will usually skip his breakfast and end up eating that food later in the evening. If he eats his breakfast and i feed him dinner, his dinner usually sits until morning.
    He seems happy and as energetic as usual, so thus far i haven’t been worried but i thought i’d get a 2nd+ opinion before i worry.
    I switched from Iams to Summit recently in an effort to feed him food that is better for him so i thought maybe he just doesn’t enjoy the healthier food, but he should suck it up and deal with it!! :p
    He is a Rottie/ Sheppard cross, so a cup of food a day seems like not enough.
    Do you helpful people suggest i worry and go to the vet… wait it out a bit longer and let him adjust(i did switch gradually. i’m only on the second bag now), or try a different food?

Thanks in advance. You all have been helpful to me before!!

wsmith01
    Participant

One of the reasons for dogs not eating properly can be due to what is known as “kennel cough,” which happens often when the pet has been in contact with other dogs in some confined environment such as kennel, alley, etc. All it takes to clear this up is to keep the dog away from others for a while, and at the same time, use some home remedies for kennel cough such as cough syrup. Very quickly the dog will start its normal appetite again.

Murf55
    Participant

One of my dogs goes through this. I buy the pricer dog foods, so its not the diet. My vet told me it can be common. He likes eating dirt too, so he could just not be hungry. Its common that a dog may not eat for 2 -3 days. They will not starve themselves- if healthy. Any longer than 3 days –> see the vet.

Will your dog eat a treat? If he does- he could be just tired of his food or (like a child) just wants junk food. This can happen.

You can change flavors (within the same brand). Try adding a bit of cooked white rice and mix it in the dry food (also good for the runs). This may help. Also, adding a bit of water to dry food makes it mushy, but they think they are getting some new food. They to variety to trick him into eating.

Blue Buffalo and Natural Choice are pricey, but the best b/c no corn, fillers or by-products. Check the labels on the bags. If it says anything but; Beef, Chicken, what-have-you thats a good sign. Iams, Eukanuba, Beneful, Kibbles, Pedigree, Pro Plan, Hills, Purina, Royal, Opitmum – They are the most common brands, cheap and ALL contain corn fillers and by products. I’d just go with what works for your dog. My sick dog takes hills L/D, my health ones eat Blue Buffalo.

VERY IMPORTANT- do not let your dog have any human food or table scraps. This could backfire for you & he will refuse his own food. Although many owners claim they give their dog beer, chocolate, onions and such– this is very BAD for the dog’s digestion. And if it doesn’t hurt him now- it can shorten the dog’s life span or even have health issues. A small amount with accidental ingestion usually will not hurt. But keep an eye on the behavior and stool.

My friend says “I have had dogs all my life and let them eat whatever & they have always been healthy.” To that i say- good for you! They used to say smoking while pregnant was okay too & so was taking morphine for any ailment.

rachard1583
    Participant

When you start feeding your puppy Orijen, you may find yourself jealous at the amazing quality of the meat used in the formulations. Not only is it fresh and never frozen, but it has also been sustainable farmed. This is unheard of in 99% of puppy food! The fish meals are all wild caught and not farmed. In fact all the ingredients used in the Orijen food preparation is actually fit for human consumption. I told you that you would be jealous!

nutram1
    Participant

Question Yourself Before Giving the Wrong Food to Your Dog

There are many pet owners who are under the impression that they can feed their dogs anything they want. The dog could be subsisted on leftovers or scraps. These are pet owners who love their dogs but do not have sufficient knowledge about the necessary nutrition required by your dog to ensure they will live a healthy life. Many of these dogs end up with variety of diseases because they are not eating a balanced diet. There are many types of foods for dogs on the market.

People get heart disease, diabetes & obesity because of unhealthy eating habits, the same happens to dogs. Like people, dogs must have a healthy, balanced diet to maintain good health and protect against disease. A healthy dog food consists of balanced nutrition through high quality ingredients, based on the latest science. It is important to remember that dogs are omnivores, which means they require both meat and vegetables to ensure they are getting their essential nutrients. Fortunately, now-a-days one can simply buy a complete balanced diet for dogs. There are many kinds of dog foods available that provide complete and balanced nutrition to promote your dog’s overall health and wellbeing. To make a decision, it is necessary to do research on what your dog needs in terms of nutrition and read the ingredients on the packaging before you purchase.

LoLa3234
    Participant

Sometimes pups can be picky and straight up stubborn. My dog loves sweet potatoes! He really is a pig when it comes to sweet potatoes or anything sweet potato flavored. So, of course, I looked into it because my dog unfortunately has allergies and I always try to give him the best, most natural foods.

I found great information from Freshpet that said sweet potatoes are actually great for dogs, which is good news for my pup. Apparently sweet potatoes are rich in anti-oxidants, have a lot of beta-carotene, are high fiber, and have lots of vitamin C. Good to know! Have you tried anything like that with your dog?

petluxury123
    Participant

Most of the times when a dog or pets loses his appetite, stops eating or is unable to eat, the reason is an underlying medical problem. In other cases it can be a behavioural (psychological) problem.

The term to describe not eating, unable to eat or loss of appetite in dogs is anorexia.

It is essential to take your dog to the vet if he stops eating for more than 24 hours. Regardless of cause, loss of appetite can have a serious impact on your dog’s health if it lasts for more than 24 hours.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.