frustrating – litter box problem

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Cat Forums frustrating – litter box problem

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  cvaughn919 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

onebunnywuv
    Participant

I’ve had the kitten, Furble, since September. He’s adjusted really well to living here (or so I’d thought?) and the last month or so he’s been doing his business on my area rug downstairs, within a few feet of one of the litter boxes. I have three cats (Cookie, Peaches, Furble) and three litter boxes. All of which are changed completely twice weekly and cleaned daily (scooped). I thought maybe it was a litter issue, so I tried changing to something else, and it got worse. Went back to the normal stuff and he used the litter box a time or two. I’ve caught him using my area rug to do his thing, and then go pee in the litter box. He favors the one under the stairs, so I’ve been cleaning it even more religiously, and he still keeps doing this.

He’s scheduled to be neutered on the 19th. He’ll be 7 months on roughly the 20th or 21st (estimated due to how long his previous owners had him before me).

It’s really frustrating me. I’ve taken him in twice now to be checked and he’s got nothing wrong with him. No worms, no infections, nothing. So I don’t know what the problem is. I’ll even move the litter box where he usually poos, and he’ll just pick a different spot… He did this for weeks when I first got him too.

mlcferret
    Participant

@onebunnywuv 782017 wrote:

I’ve had the kitten, Furble, since September. He’s adjusted really well to living here (or so I’d thought?) and the last month or so he’s been doing his business on my area rug downstairs, within a few feet of one of the litter boxes. I have three cats (Cookie, Peaches, Furble) and three litter boxes. All of which are changed completely twice weekly and cleaned daily (scooped). I thought maybe it was a litter issue, so I tried changing to something else, and it got worse. Went back to the normal stuff and he used the litter box a time or two. I’ve caught him using my area rug to do his thing, and then go pee in the litter box. He favors the one under the stairs, so I’ve been cleaning it even more religiously, and he still keeps doing this.

He’s scheduled to be neutered on the 19th. He’ll be 7 months on roughly the 20th or 21st (estimated due to how long his previous owners had him before me).

It’s really frustrating me. I’ve taken him in twice now to be checked and he’s got nothing wrong with him. No worms, no infections, nothing. So I don’t know what the problem is. I’ll even move the litter box where he usually poos, and he’ll just pick a different spot… He did this for weeks when I first got him too.

Not a 100% sure on this but your problem might be that there are other cats in the house. The cat you are having the problem with is a male right? what are the other once males or females. We had four cats and two where kittens we were going to keep the female kitten but our older female would not use the litter box if she did we tried to get a couple other boxes but she still wouldn’t use it even if i cleaned it daily so we found a home for the female kitten and kept the male ketten. Now we have 2 males 1 female. So Im just taking a guess it might be that your male kitten has a problem with one or more of your cats. hope this helps.

Punkygirl0101
    Participant

I have had that problem before with a few of my cats, what has worked for me is using a No Mark spray, I got mine at Petsmart and first cleaning the area with a cat urime remover and then spraying it with the mo mark spray. Kevin was really bad about going outside of the box and that worked for him. He hasnt been neutered yet either but hes only been around my cat Paris and she doesnt mark.

whaturmuva
    Participant

Some cats do not like to do #1 and #2 in the same place. Is he just pooping on the rug or doing both? If he is just pooping on the rug you may want to place another litter box right next to the other litter box… and place it on top of the rug. This may help ween him back onto the litter box.

onebunnywuv
    Participant

I’ve tried everything. The no mark sprays. The deodorizer sprays. The carpet powders to remove pet smells. I’ve tried vinegar. I’ve tried everything. I’ve moved the litter box itself a thousand times. I’ve moved the carpet. He started pooping on the plastic that was under the carpet. Today I had to remove the plastic and throw it out because I couldn’t get the poop off it.

He’s the only one that seems to use that litter box too? Cookie and Peaches (my 14 and 13 year old cats) use the ones in the back half of my basement, Furble uses the one under the stairs. I’d only put it there because that’s where he seemed to like to go when he was a kitten.

I can’t have anyone go downstairs anymore, especially my kids, because of it. It always smells of cat poo the second I open my basement door now because of him.

The vet suggested giving him away to a house where he’d be the only cat, but he’s almost 8 months and has been with my 2 almost his entire life (and before that was with numerous cats too).

So I really don’t know what to do?! I don’t want to re-home him just because he likes being stubborn about it, but going downstairs numerous times a day to do cat poop duty is getting to be a bit much with my 3 kids and other pets, you know?

Punkygirl0101
    Participant

Have you tried switching to different kinds of litters?

We actually had to completely remove the carpet in our family room due to the cats, and it going to be all tile (Currently its half tile and half cement lol). But it did stop the problem! Cats love being bad on carpet!

onebunnywuv
    Participant

Yup. Like I said in my original post, I’d thought it might be a problem with the litter, but it goes worse when I changed it. I even tried that Multi Cat stuff and and it didn’t make a difference, he still pooped outside the litter box. I can’t do much in my basement. It’s bare cement under the area rug, and the rug’s been rolled up, so there’s now no carpeting down there to warm my feet when I go do laundry lol

mlcferret
    Participant

@onebunnywuv 782262 wrote:

Yup. Like I said in my original post, I’d thought it might be a problem with the litter, but it goes worse when I changed it. I even tried that Multi Cat stuff and and it didn’t make a difference, he still pooped outside the litter box. I can’t do much in my basement. It’s bare cement under the area rug, and the rug’s been rolled up, so there’s now no carpeting down there to warm my feet when I go do laundry lol

I just started have this problem with my female cat we have 3 cats 2 males and 1 female. I thought it was the litter but i went through different ones and it didn’t help i am starting to think that my female is just being very pickie about the box when it gets full so i am starting to clean it every two day. We Feed them once in the morning and once in the evening so they don’t fill up the litter box to much. also cuts back on buying food.

onebunnywuv
    Participant

The problem is persisting even after rolling up the rug and leaving the litter box nowhere near a carpet. Now he’s taking litter from the box, putting it on my cement basement floor, and doing this thing. Even cleaning the darned box every day isn’t stopping this. 🙁

cvaughn919
    Participant

Hi,
    Some cats just do not do well with other cats when it comes to litter box issues. You may have to make a choice of finding the kitty a home where he is the only cat. Unless you have a separate room you can keep him in? Maybe that would work…unfortunately, carpet and kitties are a bad mix. Kitties love pooping and peeing on carpets too bad for you. Have seen it all with cats, and bathroom habits (and lack thereof) so wish you luck. You have tried putting another clean box there on or by the place on carpet he has been using right? I would try that if not. If it dont work you maybe need to find him a home where there are less other cats…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.