Gerbils?????

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rat150 16 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Chillie
    Participant

hi,

I was wondering, and I am sorry but there is no gerbil section, how old can a gerbil live up to? and also my gerbil does not want me to hold him how can I make him like me?and also how much food should I put? And also my gerbils nails are very long what do I do? smile.gif

Thanx,
    Chillie

paul
    Participant

Try posting your question on the Gerbil board here. I don’t have any gerbils, but they sure can be sweet.
    http://www.rodentfancy.com/forum/

You can’t MAKE your gerbil like you, you have to earn his trust. you can put your hand in the cage and just leave it there until he comes to you. You can bribe him with food in your palm, or held between two fingers. The important thing is to wait for him to come to you. It may take a long time, be patient. If you try to force it you can lose any gains you’ve made.

Good Luck, Paul

Lecando
    Participant

Gerbils can live up to 5 years mine did if you give him lots of fruit and stuff like that.
    Dog food and milk bones are good for gerbils.

Rat150
    Participant

My cage was a wire cage and it had a seperater thing in the middle so I put the black gerbil on top and the brown one on the bottem. I thought they were both males and so did the pet shop but I figured after the babies that the brown one was the female but the black one got down into the female’s cage and mated when I was gone themn later she had babies be sure you make sure what gender they are bye smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Rat150 (edited 08-11-2001).]

Rat150
    Participant

My gerbils were pretty good pets!!! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Rat150 (edited 08-11-2001).]

wendy
    Participant

Hi Rat150,

With reagrd to your gerbils mating,how can you say the gerbils are stupid? It was ‘your’ fault that the male got into the females cage!! It’s your responsibility to take care of such things!

With regard to the pooping all the time, it sounds like they were terrified of you!

Your posts make me very angry, gerbils are grand little creatures and can make great pets if looked after properly and out of all rodents, smell the least!

Rat150
    Participant

Well my gerbils werent that bad but they did poop a lot when they were out of there cage. I know they were probably scared a little when they were out of there cage. But it wasn’t my fault they mated I was too young to sex them right. I thought they were both male but when I saw babies I figured out she was female. Sorry for offending u. the dad acted kinda dumb because he would act in a very funny way and he would jump and hit the top of his cage realy fast and i always had to stop him but the female was cute and the babies were the best because they would run then they would stop and stand up and look around they were awsome smile.gif sorry … I don’t have them any more I had to give the mom and dad and babys to a pet shop but they did not end up as snake food. The dad was the one that pooped all the time not the mom or babies. I have a rat and a guinea pig now they are the best BYE BYE

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.