Getting cats to eat the right food.

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Cat Forums Getting cats to eat the right food.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cvaughn919 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Clysta
    Participant

Hi! I have two cats, one heavy and one thin. I have to watch my heavy cat like a hawk so that she only eats her diet food.
    It’s expensive food but my thin cat insists on eating it, too. His food is not measured but even so he has lost two pounds in two years and doesn’t need to. I have tried to tempt him to eat regular food and even tried a premium food with chicken as the main ingredient. But he won’t eat it!!!
    There is definitely an eating competition going on, heavy cat heads straight for the food dish when she is upset. Thin cat sometimes will not start eating until fat cat does.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

cvaughn919
    Participant

hmmmm, have they seen the vet? one or the other may have an issue like thyroid or other … be a place to start. otherwise cant you tempt thin cat with some secret canned food perhaps? we once had a cat with irritable bowel that needed special sensitive diet kibbles and were able to get him to go away from the others and eat his special food. i think he thought it was a treat. good luck tho at any rate.

Clysta
    Participant

Well, both cats have been to the vet. That is where I buy the diet food. He doesn’t think Socks is too thin, but I’m not sure he noticed that he has lost two pounds in two years. Opening a can of wet food would tempt both cats. I would hate to shut the door in Kiwi’s face. I suppose I could give her a little. Does wet food really have more calories than dry?? I have always tried to stay away from it because it can be so messy and wasteful, causes more tartar on teeth, and I have to keep rotating flavors because they get tired of the same flavor.

cvaughn919
    Participant

Hmmm,
    There are special can food diets the vets can prescribe to add extra calories. Of course that would mean the vet would have to acknowledge the problem and prescribe the diet. This would be fed as a supplement. So you would probably have to take the skinny cat away from the fattie to feed the special food. Maybe you can get some “low cal” for fattie?

chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.