Guinea Pig Breeding

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  CrazyCavy16 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

1stAquarium
    Participant

Hi, I am thinking about getting two baby female guinea pigs and keeping them in an indoor cage. I have kept guinea pigs before, they all lived a long and happy life in a large outdoor hutch (kept in the garage during winter). So I know a lot about guinea pig care and am currently doing a lot of reading to refresh myself.
    I would like to know what a good size for an indoor cage would be for 2 pigs?
    Also, when they are around 5 or 6 months old I am considering getting a male and breeding them. I will only do this if I am confident I can find homes for the young. And no, I am not doing it for money, I appreciate I would not make any! Lol. Would you pig owners only breed from pedigree? Or any healthy pigs?
    Any advice appreciated!

ratbrat21
    Participant

I don’t know anything about breeding guinea pigs..sorry. But your really brave posting on here about breeding. Even if your just thinking about breeding. Just be prepared for rude people. I don’t mind people breeding certain animals as long as they do research and do things responsibly. But, yeah, be prepared for some not so nice comments.

tequilla
    Participant

Hi!! I have 5 guinea pigs. it’s a lot of work. the only thing about breeding is you need to be prepared to keep them if nobody wants to take them off your hands. I keep all my piggies indoor and I don’t mind it at all. good luck with that.

CrazyCavy16
    Participant

I breed quite a bit, I dont think you would really need a pedigree unless you think your going to start breeding more or showing them. Or if your selling them to people who will want to breed. If your just breeding for fun and to try it you dont really need one. Make sure your sow is between 6 months and a year. If she is over a year it can be pretty dangerous because their hips fuse together so she wouldn’t be able to deliver them.
    As long as your piggie is healthy, its fine.

CrazyCavy16
    Participant

@ratbrat21 783475 wrote:

I don’t know anything about breeding guinea pigs..sorry. But your really brave posting on here about breeding. Even if your just thinking about breeding. Just be prepared for rude people. I don’t mind people breeding certain animals as long as they do research and do things responsibly. But, yeah, be prepared for some not so nice comments.

Really? That’s a shame. I’m new on this forum so I don’t know much about it. I breed and show my piggies. As long as you know your stuff nothing about breeding means you cant take just as good care of your cavies as a regular owner.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.