hairy poop

Home Forums Rabbit Forums hairy poop

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  LuvableMe 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

gothicangel69
    Participant

my rabbits poop is stuck together by long strands of hair. I heard that you can feed her natural olive oil to help brake it up, is this true? How much, and how often should i give her this?
    (i do brush her everyday, sometimes twice, but it never gets rid of all that hair, lol)

MangoLaska
    Participant

No, olive oil won’t break up the hair.

There is some evidence that papaya tablets can help break up the food matter around the hair and therefore help things move better, but it also won’t break up the hair itself.

The best thing to do is encourage your rabbit to eat lots of hay, to help the hair pass through their system.

The problems that you’ve been having (runny poop, lack of poop, hair in the poop) all indicate that your rabbits have a diet that’s lacking in fibre. You need to cut down the pellets, and increase hay and fresh veggie intake.

Edit: Did you ever take them to the vet?

LuvableMe
    Participant

Couldn’t have said it better ;-)

gothicangel69
    Participant

actually, she eats lots of hay, and for the past few days, there both on an all hay diet with some veggies thrown in here and there, it seems to be helping. Thats why im wondering if theres anything else i can do because she has always eaten lots of hay, but she’s shedding really bad, and im worried that she might get a hairball.

superjack
    Participant

i would continue w/the hay and add some fresh pineapple or pineapple juice. also, you might want to try petromalt. you can get it at petsmart. give your bunny a 1 inch ribbon 2-3 times a day for about 3-4 days and then use it 1-2 times weekly as a preventative.

gothicangel69
    Participant

ya, i got the petromalt today, but she doesn’t like the taste. how do i get her to eat it?

gothicangel69
    Participant

ok guys, tha alot, i guess ill just have to keep trying, lol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.