have a ten gallon tank all set up and ready go go aside from a few small things

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Hermit Crab Forums have a ten gallon tank all set up and ready go go aside from a few small things

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FastBeat85 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

kala83
    Participant

I have a ten gallon tank at my mother’s house that I intend to pick up this weekend while I am at home. To bring back to my apartment, there are a few small thing that i don’t have like a heating bad for the bottom of it which I know I need to look into getting a hold of.
    I was just wondering how many crabs should be able to fit in a tank that size comfortably?

FastBeat85
    Participant

The number of hermitcrabs depends on the size you intend to purchase you could have three or four smalls(quarter size) or two mediums(egg to golf ball) though I wouldn’t go larger than that for a ten gallon.
    The uth pad should never be bottom mounted as the depth and dampness of the substrate in our hermit crab enclosures negates the effects of the pad essentially trapping the heat against the bottom pane where it builds up to dangerous levels present overheating risks to burrowed or tunneling crabs.
    Because of this it’s only recommended that these pads be side mounted either on the back or side pane of the tank and because this is a much less efficient usage of the pad it must be rated for a tank three times the size of the tank you plan to use it on so for a ten gallon you’ll need a uth pad rated for a thirty gallon back mounted on either the far left or right of the wall.
    I’m an admin at Landhermitcrabs.com please come by and visit us.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.