Help please!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kristenbyo 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

kristenbyo
    Participant

I have always wanted a ferret! i asked my parents and they said no because it was too much work but they let me get 2 guinea pigs. Are ferrets alot more work then guinea pigs? Can you keep just one ferret? also i still NEEED (want) a ferret really badly so if i had both guinea pigs and a ferret would it be too much work as i also have school and a part time job?

mlcferret
    Participant

@kristenbyo 783031 wrote:

I have always wanted a ferret! i asked my parents and they said no because it was too much work but they let me get 2 guinea pigs. Are ferrets alot more work then guinea pigs? Can you keep just one ferret? also i still NEEED (want) a ferret really badly so if i had both guinea pigs and a ferret would it be too much work as i also have school and a part time job?

Personally to me they can be a lot of work if you don’t have all the things you need for them or if you don’t have the space and time. I never had a guninea pig but been told by lots of other people that they find ferrets to be a lot of work. But if you have the right stuff and the time and energy they can be lots of fun. Most ferrets you can train to use the letter box that doesn’t mean when they are out playing they are going to always run back to their cage and use their letter box but some do. If you let them run in your room I would set out a litter box somewhere when they are out for them to use some will not always go back to their cage. With ferrets I been told you should not use cat litter to use something like yesterdays news it little pellets from newspapers. I would recommend starting with one ferret and get that one trained to use the letter box then after a year if you can handle one get another. I would get a play pen for them or if you chose to let them run in your room or around the house you will have to ferret prove your home and room cover holes make sure there no wires for them to bite and no chemicals to get into and nothing they can swallow or they can get sick and that’s a vet trip right there. Also I would make sure they can’t get under any appliances or recliner chairs. some ferrets like to dig in the carpet so if you value your carpet and don’t want to have to do all of that I would just get a play pen that they make for ferrets a lot of pet websites and stores have them I think even Petco does. Most ferrets would be ok with only coming out for one hour or two a day but some need to get out more it also depend on how big there cage is I have 2 ferrets and a ferret nation cage (really good cage) it’s big but I had to do a couple thing to it because my one ferret kept craping the corners. They are fun animals and a joy to have. A couple people I know who get ferrets get rid of them within 2 years because thing find them to be two much work and expensive to keep. The best thing you can do is look up info on keeping a ferret and info about them before you decide to get one. I would get all the things you will need before getting your ferret. I always tell my friends who don’t have kids if they want to know what it is like to have kids get two ferrets and let them run loose in their house lol. Good luck hope this helps you

kristenbyo
    Participant

thank you so much for replying! helped alot!! my parents wont let me get a ferret until i move out.. so a long time to go haha but hopefully i can convince them how great ferrets are!!

Rocky6323
    Participant

Ferrets are wonderful pets and they can be a lot of work. You have to watch them carefully that they never get outside and that they have a place to sleep and play that is safe for them. They also do their business outside the cage when they are out. You have to clean that up. I dont know anything about guenna piga (sorry spelling) so I dont know if they can live them or not but I suspect that they can. Ferrets can live with dogs and cats so I suspect they can live with the piggies too. I hope your parents will let you get one if you want one badly enough.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.