Hermit Crabs Maybe?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rattiez21 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Rattiez21
    Participant

I got a new cage from the goodwill for only $2. I usually only have mammals for pets but this cage is not suitable for them. It is a long plexiglas cage probably big enough for a medium-large young bearded dragon. But I wouldnt keep a fully grown one in it. Just to give you an idea of how big it is. The problem is there isnt enough circulation in it for furry pets. The cage has drill holes too close to the bottom for any water. So I must keep water in dishes or small ponds or it will leak out. So probably no amphibians since they need lots of water. I read that Hermit Crabs need humidity and dont need a lot of circulation. I think they are kinda cute and wouldnt mind having some. Anyone agree it is a pet choice for the cage? Or have any other suggestions for me? I love bearded dragons, but the cage isnt big enough for an adult. Are there any smaller lizards that are just as friendly? I do not want anything that eats mammals by the way, since I keep mice & rats as pets.

Now If I do get Hermit crabs or a small lizard, is the cage the way it is fine? There are two slots for air at the top of the cage and only 6 drill holes towards the bottom. Or if I remove the screwed in log, there will be 8 holes at the bottom. Is that enough circulation? Or shall I risk and try to drill more holes at the top? Of course I will not use a standard drill because it will crack the Plexiglas. But my dad has a better machine that he thinks will work.

I have read up on hermit crabs and I think I got it down on their care and what they need. Just getting all the stuff together before buying them is the hard part. And think they are cute! Plus are vegetarians! <3

Rattiez21
    Participant

Ohhh I am sorry!!! I havent been on here for a long time and didnt see the hermit crab forum. I thought because it said aquarium it meant for reptiles too!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.