How much money does it cost to keep a horse?

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Horse Forums How much money does it cost to keep a horse?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Ask a Vet 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

A Fire Inside
    Participant

If you board a horse.
    Monthly or annually?

Runky
    Participant

It depends on where you live. Here it’s around 120-375 a month. And it also depends if you want pasture or full board. It’s expensive. hah.

Mangoe
    Participant

yea it really depends on where you live. I am boarding at Lazy L and it is a REALLY nice place with a heated indoor area, a lounge, a large outdoor area, trails and also some shows are held there a lot. Thats 350 a month for me. It can be very expensive. It depends on how much the place has to offer too.

lneill84
    Participant

My barn, with full care, was $1650 a month, per horse. I’ve heard of barns going as high as $3500 a month for full care. As far as the smaller ones around me, I have no idea.

m0usey
    Participant

What’s included in ‘full care’?

A Fire Inside
    Participant

I’d probably board him/her here:
    http://blythdale.tripod.com/coventryequestriancenter/

A Fire Inside
    Participant

This is my dream horse:
    thoroughbred.jpg

MokeyBird
    Participant

Have you ever taken lessons, Janny? Have you been to this facility? Maybe you should try some lessons there.

You don’t have any near plans on getting a horse do you? They aren’t for everybody, you know.

Runky
    Participant

Leasing is also an option. It shows you what it’s like to own a horse without actually owning one. heh. P:

LoneStar
    Participant

Wow….that’s my dream horse as well! He’s gorgeous.

Leasing is a great idea, it’s good to know the highs and lows of having a horse without making a such big commitment. It’s a different kettle of fish in the winter as well…. summer is great time to have a horse – winter is not always so great….! So yeah – it’s a good idea to see if you’re cut out for it first.

It’s best to go for a really quiet type of horse to build up your confidence as well at first. Older horses are often good for this.

I paid the equivalent of $80 a month to keep my pony on DIY livery, that’s very cheap though. I also paid for all her hay, feed, bedding, worming, shoeing, veterinary care, tack, equipment etc etc on top of that…. So don’t forget to take that stuff into account as well as the price of livery when you’re budgeting for keeping a horse.

A Fire Inside
    Participant

@mokeybird 711089 wrote:

Have you ever taken lessons, Janny? Have you been to this facility? Maybe you should try some lessons there.

You don’t have any near plans on getting a horse do you? They aren’t for everybody, you know.

Yes to the first. Yes to the second. And no to the third. I don’t think I will get a horse until I’m in college.

I do the therapeutic volunteering there. If you work there 5 times they give you a free lesson so I’ve done that…free lessons…mmmm…

Theo4life
    Participant

Mangoe, where is Lazy L? I am boarding at Artemis Farm in Southampton NJ and we have 110 acers with a 1/2 mile grass galloping track, 10 acer riding feild some “trails” a lighted hunter ring, a small flat ring an indoor, a 21 12×12 stall barn, a 5 stall shed,(out veiwing the driveway” and and a garage with 5 stalls but we never use it. We pay $525 per month, and that doesnt include any fees like shoeing, vet etc. let alone the lessons. Here is the website. mysite.verizon.net/poris3 check it out.

sema01
    Participant

Cost varies depending on how you keep the horse, where you live, what you do with the horse and so on.

As a rough guide, minimum $200 if you self-stable and $400 for full livery. However, in some areas costs can be double or more than this.

If you have stall, fenced in pasture and do everything yourself, it can be cheaper.

Suggest you start with a full list of different horse costs, then phone around to get the local cost of each of these items (stall, food, supplements, farrier, insurance, inoculations, dental, etc.). Add them up or use the online calculator at the above location.

Once you get the total, I would suggest you add 10-25% for contingencies or missed items.

Then hope you don’t get a major disaster (e.g. colic requiring surgery). Think about taking out insurance to cover major vet expenses.

milomypup
    Participant

@sema01 780066 wrote:

Cost varies depending on how you keep the horse, where you live, what you do with the horse and so on.

As a rough guide, minimum $200 if you self-stable and $400 for full livery. However, in some areas costs can be double or more than this.

If you have stall, fenced in pasture and do everything yourself, it can be cheaper.

Suggest you start with a full list of different horse costs, then phone around to get the local cost of each of these items (stall, food, supplements, farrier, insurance, inoculations, dental, etc.). Add them up or use the online calculator at the above location.

Once you get the total, I would suggest you add 10-25% for contingencies or missed items.

Then hope you don’t get a major disaster (e.g. colic requiring surgery). Think about taking out insurance to cover major vet expenses.

Thanks for this information. Horses are one of the most challenging animals to take care for, but it is VERY fulfilling!

Ask a Vet
    Participant

A vet can actually give you a proper estimate on how much does it cost you to keep a horse.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.