i need proffessionals only im worried about my ball python

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Snake Forums i need proffessionals only im worried about my ball python

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  SherryNBryce 5 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ilovecacti
    Participant

hi…..let me start from the beggining….about 5 months ago all was well then a big tragic thing happened in my life and my mind has been off
    and i have been really sad and i havnt had the time to hold my ball python….and one night while he was shedding i looked in her tank…..and she struck the side of the glass…..and everytime i do something in her tank he starts like vibrating and getting in striking position so i need to know….

i used to hold her all the time how do i get her used to being held again?

please please PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

im begging thanks,
    ILC (ilovecacti)

brechr52
    Participant

I’m sorry you are having a rough time, I went through something like that a little while ago and some of my snakes got testy because they had not been held in awhile. I found though, that some of the problem was that they were not being fed enough. I was used to feeding them (I have 3) one adult mouse a week and that would be fine, but I was distracted with things in my life and should have been paying more attention to how much they had grown. I increased the amount of food fed and that helped a lot. They still acted funny for a while after when I held them but did not strike anymore. Could this be a possibility with your snake?

If not, try using a good, thick, set of gloves and start handling again. Watch their temperament and choose a time of day that they seem less active and do it then. Also, sometimes it helps to turn the heat lamps off for a little while before hand as they are cold blooded and this will slow them down a bit, hopefully making them less interested in biting. These are just tricks that I have found helpful in my 3 years of keeping snakes, hope it helps!

Herps4Us
    Participant

The snake is stressed out from something, either not enough food, or too much activity around the cage. And you said that it was in shed when it stroked at the cage, well shedding adds to the stress. I am not a pro, but I am an intermediate snake handler.
    I say, wait until the snake sheds, mist the cage four times a day. Make sure the snake as fresh water, and a good hide. After it has shed, feed it a good sized rat, you know what i mean, a rat that is the same size as the largest girth point on your snake. After it eats, if it does, since it seems to be stressed, wait 24 hours before trying to handle.
    You may wear gloves, but i think that they are not necessary because the bites from ball pythons do not hurt, even as adults. But if you are scared that you might hurt the snake if it bites you, like you throw it down or drop it, then wear gloves. In my experience, once you have the snake in your hands, and out of the cage, they will not bite. It might hiss, or as ball pythons do, roll into a ball. Most ball pythons only “fake” bite, by only hitting you with their mouth. They do not like to bite for some reason or another. They only time they will really bite is when they think that your finger is food and bite and try to constrict.
    On the last note, do not be scared. Ball Pythons and most other animals can sense fear, which makes them more stressed out, and more likely to strike. Just reach in and pick it up.
    Follow those steps, and remember that if you do get bitten, it wont hurt, it’ll just shock you, because its so fast. Ball pythons teeth are very small, and can only puncture the first layer of skin. The only time it’ll bleed is if it holds on and you jerk away from it. (which rips the other skin layers.) Good Luck, and I hope this helps. Your snake will be back to its old self in no time!

SherryNBryce
    Participant

He’s probably stressed about not having much attention. Maybe he has to get used to seeing you again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.