I’m new & am having a problem with my gerbils. :(

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Gerbil Forums I’m new & am having a problem with my gerbils. :(

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mollymakessense 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mollymakessense
    Participant

I have two gerbils, Lyric & Toki, both female. They’re litter mates & both get along fairly well. At least, I think so. For about a week now, Toki’s nose has been red & bloody. At first, I didn’t know how it happened. I’ve never seen them fight, except for the playful wrestling every now & then. Then, a few days ago, I saw what looked like Lyric chewing on Toki’s nose…though Toki just sat there & did not complain. This is unusual, seeing as Toki is usually the more dominant one & Lyric is more nonchalant. I just don’t understand it. I read that the bloody nose may be from allergies or over-grooming…but I’m not sure. I don’t want to blame Lyric right away, but I’m scared that if she is biting Toki’s nose, that it may become more serious. Someone, please help! I love them both so much. 🙁

TTGerbils
    Participant

Firstly, are you sure Toki’s nose is actually bloody? Gerbil mucus is pinkish-red and a runny nose can be mistaken for a bloody nose. A red, runny nose can be caused by something in the habitat, most commonly bedding, but gerbils can be allergic to just about anything. Wooden houses and hay are a couple of other things that come to mind.

When you say Lyric is chewing on Toki’s nose, do you mean she’s *biting* it or could she be grooming or cleaning it? Most gerbils won’t just sit still if another gerbil is hurting him/her. They’ll run away or fight back.

What type of bedding are you using? If Lyric and Toki seem to be getting along, other than the nose chewing, I’d suspect an allergy of some sort.

mollymakessense
    Participant

They don’t fight, ever. They’re very friendly towards each other.

I would suspect an allergy, but I’m using a plastic/metal cage & Carefresh bedding. The same kind I’d been using since I got them. Also, her nose seems a little deformed & she’s acting very lazy, not like her usual self.

Toki used to be the dominant one. She’d run around & take care of Lyric. Now it seems to be the other way around.

I’m honestly concerned about Toki’s health. The only problem is that there are no vets around here that take gerbils. 🙁

mollymakessense
    Participant

Toki’s nose seems a little deformed, actually. That’s why I ruled out just mucus. I’m using a plastic/metal cage & Carefresh bedding, the same kind I’ve used since the day I got them.

Toki seems a little more lazy than she used to be, too. Right now, she’s curled up in a corner & Lyric looks like she’s holding her. I’m very concerned about Toki’s health, as she isn’t acting like herself at all. She seems very sick, but there are no vets around here that take gerbils. 🙁

lucytheturtle
    Participant

check the cage very well. they easily could have chewed a small hole and he is trying to get out. when he tries to get out it could scrape his nose. hope this helps.:)

lucytheturtle
    Participant

check cage for holes. they could have chewed a hole and tried to get out. if they tried to get out it could have cut his nose. the other might just be trying to lick off the blood.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.