Looking for Roborovski hamster around Toronto, ON, Canada

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Hamster Forums Looking for Roborovski hamster around Toronto, ON, Canada

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  hamstersaregreat 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Metal Wing
    Participant

Hello,

I just got back from running around 4 pet smart stores and I haven’t been able to find a single Roborovski. I even tried local pet stores and in malls. Nothing.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get Roborovski around GTA?

Thank You!

Dash
    Participant

As far as I know robos are not regularly available in the GTA. Your best chance is heading down near Windsor or to the US.

Metal Wing
    Participant

@dash 793449 wrote:

As far as I know robos are not regularly available in the GTA. Your best chance is heading down near Windsor or to the US.

I was thinking that too, considering every pet store in California had them. Although from my research it appeared that East Coast in general is lacking them.

My problem with buying from USA is a matter of duties/documents. Not 100% sure how bringing a hamster over the border works.

Another problem I had with looking for robos is the staff of pet stores. Every Pet Smart I called, and I hate to sound like an ass, but they didn’t know anything about hamster. I was put on hold to get a person who works in that pet section and the best they could tell me is that “We have dwarf hamsters”. It took them roughly 5 minutes to come back and notify me that it is Russian dwarf hamsters and they didn’t know others exist. While the brochures that are hung next to the displays clearly indicate all types.

That said, I’ll continue my search =( My birthday is in a week and I am still determined to get one.

Dash
    Participant

@Metal Wing 793471 wrote:

I was thinking that too, considering every pet store in California had them. Although from my research it appeared that East Coast in general is lacking them.

My problem with buying from USA is a matter of duties/documents. Not 100% sure how bringing a hamster over the border works.

Another problem I had with looking for robos is the staff of pet stores. Every Pet Smart I called, and I hate to sound like an ass, but they didn’t know anything about hamster. I was put on hold to get a person who works in that pet section and the best they could tell me is that “We have dwarf hamsters”. It took them roughly 5 minutes to come back and notify me that it is Russian dwarf hamsters and they didn’t know others exist. While the brochures that are hung next to the displays clearly indicate all types.

That said, I’ll continue my search =( My birthday is in a week and I am still determined to get one.

Very few pet store employees actually do know what they are talking about. Fact of life sadly. As far as I know you would need to get the hamster checked a by a vet and a signed note by them indicating that the hamster was in good health. But to be sure I would try phoning a vet to be certain. Or even a travel agent perhaps?

hamstersaregreat
    Participant

i think that you should contact all the stores and ask if they will be getting any in the future. also driving a little farther out of your way for a robot is well worth it! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.