Mother not attending to babies?

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Pet Rat Forums Mother not attending to babies?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rat Trap 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Rat Trap
    Participant

My rat Tanuki had 13 babies recently. I think it was on May 27th, because I found them May 28th at 2:00am and they looked cleaned off.

I have some questions.

Tanuki is not paying attention to them. I tried putting her and all 13 babies in a new cage where the others rats would not bother her or her babies, but she only kept escaping from that cage, so I put her and all of the babies back into her old cage. She is still not paying attention to them. She keeps pushing them out of the way and they are getting cold so I have to keep putting them all back together with the others, and when she goes into the box where they are, she doesn’t stop to feed them.

I didn’t know she was pregnant, she didn’t even appear fat. This was a surprise. And now I am even more worried because her sister Draga actually appears fat, and I thought I was only over feeding them on table scraps, but now I am afraid she will add to the bunch, and I am afraid that all of these babies will not be taken care of and I don’t want any to die.

How do I persuade Tanuki to take care of her babies and pay attention to them? Should I buy an aquarium to put them all in so she can’t keep escaping through the barred cage when I separate her from her sister? Should I not even separate her and just let her stay in the barred cage? I don’t want the babies to fall through the cracks of the bars or fall down the high levels!

God forbid any should die, but if some do die due to her poor mothering skills, should I take the dead young out? Somebody told me they eat the babies that die, but that is just gross and I don’t think that should be happening.

I am just really scared and stressed out and I don’t want any of these poor babies to die because of me not knowing how to persuade Tanuki to take care of them.

Other information I am not sure if you need to know, but maybe it would be helpful:
    Tanuki is 5 months old.
    Tanuki is a Siamese ruby-eyed dumbo furred rat.
    Tanuki is pretty blind due to her ruby eyes and always has to sway her head to see (not sure if this would hurt her mothering skills or not).
    Tanuki and her sister Draga have been housed together since they were babies.

Rat Trap
    Participant

Modz Please Delete

I have found the answers I need at another forum and various other sites, and I no longer have use for this thread. I will not be checking it any further.

Thank you!

Dash
    Participant

Check out http://www.ratsforum.com/forum for lots of information on rats. <3

Or goosemoose.com

Rat Trap
    Participant

@Rat Trap 783474 wrote:

Modz Please Delete

I have found the answers I need at another forum and various other sites, and I no longer have use for this thread. I will not be checking it any further.

Thank you!

Thanks, but as you can see, this has been dealt with, mods are to delete it now. Thanks.

Also the link to that forum does not work.

Dash
    Participant

Why delete it? What if someone comes on needing similar answers? This forum is really slow and answers aren’t always available right away. :/

http://www.ratsforum.com/forum/
    There, link fixed^

Rat Trap
    Participant

Usually at forums when you are through with a topic and it has been resolved you are to change it to MODS PLEASE DELETE so they can delete it and better keep the forum organized without clutter. But clearly this forum is dead, and there wasn’t much use posting here.

The link still does not work. It goes to a “Server Not Found” page each time.

But it’s not my forum, so obviously they can keep this topic up if they wish, I cannot control what they do with the topic I chose to post here. It was my own fault for posting it I suppose. I didn’t realize this forum was no longer active like it was a few years ago when I used to come here. Sorry for wasting everyone’s time.

For anyone curious, all of the babies are fine, and I’ve found good homes for most of them already.

Dash
    Participant

It’s not anybodies fault. This forum has just slowed down a lot. I remember posting a topic and having 30 replies within 10 minutes. People have just moved on. I come on here when I can to reply to people that come here seeking help.

Most forums I go on ask for topics not to be deleted so that new memebers can just do a search instead of having people ask again and again and again. 😉

I don’t know why the links not working for you. It is a great and caring forum though. 😉

Rat Trap
    Participant

Ah, I see. Well maybe this will help someone. =/

I would like if the forum link would work… Maybe it’s my computer. What is the forum called? Perhaps I can do a Google Search to find a link that actually works…

Dash
    Participant

Maybe the main site will work better: http://www.ratsforum.com/

Apparently the forum was down for a bit yesterday, so maybe that’s why it wasn’t working.

It’s called The Rat S though. 🙂

Rat Trap
    Participant

Hm, it still won’t work. I am sorry, I don’t know what’s wrong. I use FireFox and it still says the same thing it always said.

I cannot find “The Rat S” on any Search Engine either. I’ve tried AOL, Google, Yahoo, and MyWebSearch. Nothing relevant to a forum comes up. =/

Dash
    Participant

Sorry it didn’t post the rest of the name for some reason maybe the word is banned.

Rat S.H.A.C.K
    (without the dots)

Rat Trap
    Participant

Ah, okay, that must be why the link didn’t work, as it took out the h-a-c-k part of it. =/
    Thank you. =]

Dash
    Participant

ah lol. 😛

no problem

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.