my mousey looks pregnant?

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Mouse Forums my mousey looks pregnant?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jellibean 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

jellibean
    Participant

I got a mouse in December, and after lots of research, decided to get her a female buddy. I got her at petco and picked out the smallest little mouse there was, since they’re both albino and I wanted some way to tell them apart before I got to know their personalities and such. Also, I wanted a mouse who was younger, because my first mouse was full grown when I got her and was so terrified of me I couldn’t go near her.

(Since I got the second mouse, the first one has calmed down a lot and I can hold her, but they are still scared of me)

Anyways, my second mouse has been growing rapidly but for the past week I’ve noticed her belly bulges out differently than my other female. It’s been getting more and more noticeable, could she be pregnant? Also she’s been randomly taking naps in random places of the tank, usually I’ve only ever seen them sleep in their hut, it’s behavior I’ve never seen before.

I took some pictures with my phone before, I’d prefer to use my camera but since they’re white the flash makes them impossible to see and without the flash they move too quickly and it comes out blurry.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2vmtsew.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/zx72iw.jpg

[http://i47.tinypic.com/dncytk.jpg

(The images are big and stretch the post out, so just click on the links)

What do you think? Is she a fatty or could she be pregnant?

And is it a common thing for pet store mice to accidentally become pregnant? She’s never been with a male since I’ve had her.

Alasse
    Participant

Definately pregnant, without a doubt…

Pet store female mice often come in contact with males and in many cases (not all) are already pregnant when people bring them home.

jellibean
    Participant

Uh oh -_- I’m already having a hard time keeping up with how often TWO mice go to the bathroom….

I’m worried about her age. I’ve had her for about 2 or more weeks and she’s a lot bigger now but she was reeeally small when I brought her home… would having babies harm her?

Here’s a picture I took of her today, she’s bigger in this one.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2mo579f.jpg

Also my family thinks I’m just imagining it, in those photos she’s scrunched up and it’s making her belly look bigger…?

moucelover
    Participant

Well first off I’d like to congratulate you on your new mouse. As you can see in the pictures she looks as if she has swallowed a golf ball, Which means she is pregnant. I have had 2 litters and the mother of them both was about the same size as the second picture you showed us before she had both of her litters. For now I can only say that she looks she is DEFINATELY Pregnant. But dont let a male mouse in the cage while she is in there other wise he will eat the male babies and mate with the female babies. If this is her first litter, she wont have as many babies as her 2nd or 3rd. Now all you do is count down the days until Birth (Gestasion is usually 19-23 days). Good Luck

Angus

P.s. Try not to uinterupt her so much, Especially while she is giving birth as she could eat her babies and even herself from fretting.

Prima
    Participant

It’s too bad she hasn’t posted anymore, I’d have like to know how things turned out.

jellibean
    Participant

She never had any babies! I was so bummed out because I was really excited to have new critters to raise and play with. She had this big bulgy belly and I left the cage alone (except for feeding) for like three days waiting for her to give birth, and nothing ever happened. She’s still got a chubby belly but it’s not as big as it was in that picture.

🙁

moucelover
    Participant

Maybe she gave bith overnight and she maybe ate them? Sorry about the news 🙁

Alasse
    Participant

Yep, probably ate them. It may not have been anything you did or didnt do, so dont stress. The pups may have been born dead or deformed, in cases like that it is noted that females will eat them

Rattiez21
    Participant

She also could of had a miscarriage without having them at all. A baby may have gotten stuck blocking the path so she couldnt give birth. If this happened the babies would die and she would of absorbed them into her body like nothing happened. Did you notice any blood in the bedding?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.