My new hamster is a biter!

PetsHub.com Forums Hamster Forums My new hamster is a biter!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  hamstersaregreat 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

zombieZOO
    Participant

I was given a baby dwarf hamster, and I was wondering if there is anyway I can stop his biting. If you put your had in the cage to change his food/water, or go to pick him up, he bites. I don’t really mind because it doesn’t hurt, but my little sister is scared of the little guy. Is there anyway I can stop his biting? Or is it something I am just going to have to put up with?

HandcuffedAngel
    Participant

Is he really biting, or is he just nibbling? Chances are he’s just checking to see whether you’re food or not but he won’t actually bite. My girl does that, it’s really not a big deal and I don’t think there’s anyway to put a halt on curiosity and hamster instincts.

Just show your sister that it’s fine and doesn’t hurt and don’t pull away from him out of fear.

zombieZOO
    Participant

He’s actually biting.

Chaos
    Participant

If it doesn’t hurt, trust me he’s not biting. I had two truely aggressive dwarves and it HURT when they bit (they were only aggressive because for the first 6 months they’d been handled roughly).

How long ago did you get him? Did you spend time socializing him with food, getting him used to your scent and letting him crawl on YOUR hand, or just pick him up? He may not have had much socialization as a baby, so he’s probably either scared witless, or just checking you out. Slowing down and getting him to trust you before picking him up is always the best idea.

zombieZOO
    Participant

I think it’s been two weeks. Anyways, he doesn’t seem interested when you have food. He just sits in a corner and stares, or comes up, sniffs you, nips you, and runs back. Picking him up obviously doesn’t work because he bites you. Or nips, or whatever you consiter it. 🙂

Should I just keep putting my hand in the cage and letting him sniff me until he feels comfortable with me? How do you know when he’s ready to get picked up? Or should I always just wait for him to come and sit in my hand?

HandcuffedAngel
    Participant

I let my hamsters come into my hand. Shinsei kind of taste at me first and then she’ll climb right up there. Same with PopTart. He just sniffs me and then walks into my hand.

It’s a lot easier on them because they can do it themselves and they not being “snatched” by something. They’re prey animals. They are fearful of being grabbed because they think you’re a predator.

You can also just lift them up once they go on your hand so you can avoid wrapping your hand around them.

zombieZOO
    Participant

I don’t like wrapping my hands around them. I always think I am going to crush their insides.

Alrighty, so his behaviour is totally normal then? I was a little worried there might be something wrong with him, but I was almost positive I was doing something wrong, not him.

HandcuffedAngel
    Participant

It’s normal. Since they are prey animals they defend themselves any way they can.

As long as the biting doesn’t hurt, just stand your ground and leave your hand where it’s at. Don’t show it fear because it will try to fend you off like you’re a threat.

It shouldn’t take long for it to get comfortable and climb onto your hand by itself.

zombieZOO
    Participant

Good! I want whats best for the little guy, and I don’t want him to be timid and anti social.

pixibubbles
    Participant

you could rub his bedding on your hands so you smell like cage… that might relax him… and make sure that you dont handle food before playing with him.

zombieZOO
    Participant
    pixibubbles wrote:
    you could rub his bedding on your hands so you smell like cage… that might relax him… and make sure that you dont handle food before playing with him.

I always wash my hands before and after I take out my rodents or dogs. My mouse gets nervous whenever I smell like another animal, so it’s a habbit now. So I don’t know… would I still smell like food then?

pixibubbles
    Participant

Sounds like you shouldnt… only time my ham ever bit me was when i had just finished peelign eggs lol

rubbing some of his bedding on your hands might be good still so you would smell like cage… it works with some hamsters… others just look at you as if saying “do you really think i’ll fall for that?”

Discord
    Participant

Hi! Please help. I’ve had my new dwarf hamster for about 2 weeks now. She doesn’t seem scared. She plays, eats, sleeps and I’m trying to follow the tips I found on websites about taming dwarf hamsters. I’ve been talking and reading to her and all the websites say to keep your hand in the cage and let the hamster come to you now. My problem is as soon as she sees my hand she runs on to it, without any fear, and bites me. It really hurts. I don’t know what to do. Please help.

Dash
    Participant

How big is your cage? Dwarfs are often what is called cage territorial and it leads to them being cage aggressive. You need a cage with at least 360 square inches of floorspace (shelves don’t count as hamsters need floorspace, not height). Any smaller and your hamster feels the need to defend her tiny amount of space from everyone. I had a dwarf that was like this and once upgraded to a larger cage he let me hold him within the hour for the first time in 6 months.

Hamsters may be small but they need lots of room. Sometimes (though rarely) they retain this cage aggression as a habit even when upgraded. In this case handling your ham outside of her cage only and respecting her space is the best idea.

hamstersaregreat
    Participant

i don’t think you should put up with it, he might get acustiom to nipping you or already is, what i do is i blow on him just a little bit so that he knows nipping on me is a no no. he knows when its flesh and he should stop nipping, i think its working because he has not nipped me in a long time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.