need advice on 3 cats feeding

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Cat Forums need advice on 3 cats feeding

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mlcferret 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mlcferret
    Participant

My husband and I have 3 cats two males and one female all fixed and neutered. One male a snowshoe is 5 years old and the calico is 2 years old and the maine coon is 11 months VERY BIG CAT. We have a self feeder and and self water dish so we never forget to feed them but with all of them being fixed they eat all the time and have gained a lot of weight. I was thinking of getting them each their own bowls and feeding them twice a day to help them with there weight. But I don’t know how to keep them out of each others food one of the cats is a maine coon and he loves to eat infact I think thats all he does lol. I looked up info on them and it said they should be on a deit to help them with there health. I have also tried to switch them to a cat diet type of food but they still have gain a lot of weight. So if anyone can give me advice on how to do this it would help a lot thank you.

megan

ratbrat21
    Participant

i feel your pain. My cats all got overweight too. But they each have their own food dish and get 1/4 cup twice a day. So it equals 1/2 cup each cat. I would highly suggest getting them their own food dishes. If your worry about your maine coon stealing food from the others maybe feed him in a different room. Try just feeding them 1/2 cup twice a day. Then maybe go down to what i feed them 1/4 twice a day. But you dont wanna go down to fast. I hope this helps.

mlcferret
    Participant

@ratbrat21 781989 wrote:

i feel your pain. My cats all got overweight too. But they each have their own food dish and get 1/4 cup twice a day. So it equals 1/2 cup each cat. I would highly suggest getting them their own food dishes. If your worry about your maine coon stealing food from the others maybe feed him in a different room. Try just feeding them 1/2 cup twice a day. Then maybe go down to what i feed them 1/4 twice a day. But you dont wanna go down to fast. I hope this helps.

thank u for the reply. Cat food is not cheap when it come to getting a healthy brand sense my cats will not eat any if the really cheap kind. We were buying about 2-3 bags ever 2 weeks and thats not cheap. So I think I will give the dishes a try and see how it work.

ratbrat21
    Participant

oh i know how that is. We cant afford the good stuff sadly. But we make due with what we can afford. I am working now and buying all the rodent and fish stuff. I am not making much but at least its a job and making some money. If I can save up enough money and still be able to buy all my pets stuff i will look into getting a better brand. But I dunno if i can cuz i dont make much and i have to buy 20 plus pounds of rodent food every 2 weeks. That is whats expensive lol. Good luck with the feeding in dishes 🙂

Chicknesholay
    Participant

I would highly suggest not putting an 11 month old Maine Coon kitten on a diet. S/he is not done growing yet and still at the age where s/he should be allowed to eat.

I also suggest not doing any kind of diet food because most of them are even lower quality than the original brand. Instead, decrease portions and increase exersize. Building muscle will help burn fat.

What food are they on? High protein content from meat and low carb content is ideal for weight loss. Are they on any/all canned? If not, I would urge you to add some high quality canned each day. They tend to be higher quality and lower carb in addition to the added water content which you really want for cats

Punkygirl0101
    Participant

I have 17 cats all free fed and none are overweight. I have some big kitties, but thats due to their bone structure. What kind of food do you feed?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.