Need advice on light weight stone to build up a dock

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Tortoise & Turtle Forums Need advice on light weight stone to build up a dock

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tribbles 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jimbobway
    Participant

I’ve had a RES for 24 years now, since I was 4. So she’s quite big at this point and has been for a while. I have her in a 75 gal tank that I keep a little less than half full. My problem is that even the biggest turtle docks on the market are not sufficient. I had a large one made by Zoo-Med with suction cups and a plastic bracket. It’s supposed to adjust to the height of the water but I had to rig mine up with cable ties to keep it at the surface since my turtle has too much weight for it. It’s also made of some kind of material that seems to be something like a dense foam. So, in pulling herself up on it, she scratches pieces of it off, they get stuck in the filter and her water starts to get gross that much faster.

I had the idea that I should try to just use some kind of stone to build up a dock/basking platform for her, right up from the bottom of the tank. I even have some nice slabs of shale or something in the rock walls on the sides of my driveway. Problem is, I don’t know if this would be too much weight to be putting in an expensive glass aquarium. It would need to be built up to a height of about 10″, with the steps ranging from maybe 20″ long to 10″ long for the top (basking part) and at least maybe 8″ wide.

Can anybody give me any suggestions? My turtle deserves a nice platform and I deserve to not keep getting frustrated over this stupid store bought thing. Thanks!

Tribbles
    Participant

Congratulations on having your turtle for such a long time. It shows that you are taking great care of her. I wish I had an answer for you. I have two RES that are outgrowing their tank and I’m looking for what you are- something sturdy but not too heavy. Right now I am using bricks as a base and a stone slab for a flat surface but it is less than ideal. I hope others have some answers for you as I’ll be interested too!

jimbobway
    Participant

Thanks Tribbles and thanks for your response. I just noticed that the last post before our ones was in January. :rolleyes: Seems like there needs to be more of a turtle owner presence on here.

Just out of curiosity, how big/old are yours? Something I need to consider is the possibility that my turtle could shift the stuff that I put in the tank around and potentially slam a rock into the side wall of the tank.

I guess, whatever idea I come up with, all the parts are gonna need to be secured together with maybe some kind of cushioning below/around it, even if it’s just a plastic placemat or something.

My gf suggested that I do something similar to what you said you have. But I have to wonder if little particles could be broken off of something like bricks or cinder blocks too (esp with my bigger turtle). That’s why I liked the idea of using slate or shale. But I still have the weight issue.

I guess I’ll figure something out one of these days here.

Tribbles
    Participant

It is a quiet board! I have 2 RES and both are a little over 3 years old. The female is about 6 inches across and the male is about 4 inches across. They are very active and so far I have not had any problem with the bricks and stone. I would like something lighter though just because of the pressure it puts on the tank.

I also have a mud turtle that is at least 13 years old but he is in a separate tank. They do best in shallow water so I have one large flat rock that is graduated so part of it is in the water and part is out.

I also have a Russian tortoise (14 years old) and a Bells Hingeback (30+ years old) and they each have their own cage.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.