New Hamster

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Prima 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

ratbrat21
    Participant

Well I have a hamster now. I was in no way looking for a hamster or even wanting more pets. My friend wanted to get a sweet hamster for her son for his birthday. She is well aware shes taking care of the hamster and even picking the hamster up before her son holds her. She knows what to expect and we went shopping together for stuff and even called me her hamster consultant lol. Well I said getting from a rescue would be best. Pet store hams are usually mean or sick or both. Well Traci was busy and I couldnt get ahold of her. So I wasnt thinking and we both went to the pet store and got this little baby syrian. Shes black and white. Spitting image of Dragon if you all remember him. Except shes a girl and shorthaired. Well she was cute and seemed friendly so we got her. She wanted me to keep the hamster for a week cuz her sons birthday wasnt for a week so I said sure no problem I can tame her down if she gets mean. Well after about 2 days I called her up and said this hamster is mean. I mean shes downright evil sometimes. Shes so tiny but wow lol. So I called my other friend who has a rescue. She actually had 1 syrian left and it was a girl and very very sweet. So my friend got that hamster.

So here I have a little syrian hamster. I wasnt looking for another hamster. She had a URI too but shes getting over it thank God. Shes still not that nice but she will get better in time. I named her Delilah, not sure why…just seemed to fit her. I had a couple decisions to make. I could keep her, which I was scared she would die after the 7 days were up so i could get a free one. OR I could give her back to the pet store and just get a nicer and healthier one. Well, I decided to keep her. I didnt have the heart to take her back to the pet store. Shes on meds for her URI and i know the pet store would have just put her in the back…no meds and just left her to die. I couldnt do that to her and have a clear conscience.

Prima
    Participant

Delilah is a nice name. Hope she gets better.

ratbrat21
    Participant

thanks 🙂 I just love her so much. I am learning her moods and when I can pick her up. Shes so much like a cat. She doesnt want you to even touch her when shes isnt in the mood to be touched. She is very friendly and sweet when she begs to come out. Shes so goofy. I got this awesome cage for her. Its a big wire cage. The wires are very close together so no worries. But I still wanna wait til she gets bigger. Shes only around 6 weeks old right now. Shes in a 10 gallon right now. My first thought was to put her in one of my long 20 gallon tanks but I saw this awesome cage someone was selling so I had to get it. I will post pictures tomorrow when i have more time.

Prima
    Participant

I’ve got a hamster, a girl too, named Sunshine. She’s just your average Golden Syrian, about a year old, very lazy. She falls asleep in my lap. 🙂

Can’t wait to see your pics.

ratbrat21
    Participant

well I finally uploaded the pictures. Sorry they arent that great. She was tired so she wasnt her normal alert self.

Picture009-3.jpg

Picture002-5.jpg

Those were the 2 best pictures. They show how really tiny she is and I have had her for 2 weeks now. Believe me shes grown since i got her. She was just a teeny tiny thing before.

Dash
    Participant

She would certainly appreciate a 20 gallon long or similar sized cage. They are considered minimum. 😉

She’s adorable, she looks so young though. If I were you, I would supplement her diet with some high protein foods such as chicken, tofu and soy milk until she gets older.

I’m sure she is very happy that you decided to keep her. <3

ratbrat21
    Participant

thanks! Shes getting alot bigger now and has calmed down alot. I dont get her out until its night. Shes always sleeping and so moody in the day. But I get her out every night. Give her some treats and pet her and talk to her. Let her run around some. Shes no longer sick and is just doing real good.

The wire cage I got for her, she is in now. She has been for awhile now. Its the same size as a 20 gallon plus it has a level. I need to charge my batteries and get more pictures.

Dash
    Participant

Ok just making sure, some people see shiny, sparkly cages and go for them, ya know? 😉

Can’t wait to see her!

Very few hams enjoy being out during the day, she’s not weird or anything. 😛

ratbrat21
    Participant

yeah I know what you mean. I know all to well those small cages. They make them look so cute. The companys dont get it. Try makeing a cage similar only alot bigger. Then that would work.

Yeah, Delilah is my third ever syrian hamster, my first female though. The 2 males I had were always begging to come out. Shes a regular little diva though. She cracks me up the way she so still and just stares at me sometimes, like how dare you human lol. Hamsters have alot of personality thats for sure.

Dash
    Participant

Without a doubt. <3

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.