obese?

Home Forums Guinea Pig Forums obese?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  amymlc 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

mui_mui
    Participant

Recently my guinea pig eats almost a bowl of pellets per day….I don’t know whether it is because of winter and she needs to hiberate or others. I am just worry that she is getting obese…and she is turning 1 year old.

user: mui_mui & jur mui mui (my gp)

amymlc
    Participant

a guinea pigs main diet should be hay…like timothy hay or some other grass hay. Pellets should be provided also, but their main diet should be hay. Too many pellets will make for a fat piggy. I feed my pigs as much hay as they can eat and then about a cup of pellets (for both of them) a day. Also…I give my pigs some fresh veggies every other day as well. Mine love Kale, carrots, oranges, and mangos. Also…make sure the pellets that you give them don’t have a high fat content. Your pig might be eating so much because she is bored….does she have a friend or is she all alone? I strongly suggest getting another guinea pig. A second one won’t cost much more. When I got another pig for my first one….she was instantly more active and happy…did a lot of popcorning…Now they are inseperable. Look for some guinea pigs at your local humane society or at a guinea pig shelter…there are always lots available. Look on the adoption and rescue forum on this site! GOOD LUCK!!!

angelfire1966
    Participant

amymlc had some wonderful advice for you. Piggies do seem to enjoy company. Since they eat almost all the time it is always best to let them have hay. I know that I would get so bored if I ate the same pellet day in and day out, so I to suggest some vegies and such. In summer I would let mine nible on the lawn or a nice patch of clover. If you do decide to get another make sure your cage is large enough for the two of them. Also think about the babies you could have if you get one of the opposite sex. You might be better off with the same sex so you do not have to worry about pregnancy, complications, homes for the little ones ect. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Marianne

mui_mui
    Participant

Thanks for all advices. :) I do provide much hay and fresh veggie…but I agree that she is probably too bored. :( I will try to figure out if I can get a friend for her. I am afraid she is too aggressive and doubt whether she can share the love she gets with another piggie. Thanks again….please feel free to continue to post advice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.