Orphaned Meadow Vole…Help!

PetsHub.com Forums Mouse Forums Orphaned Meadow Vole…Help!

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  mitch 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Jennicat
    Participant

@lou2 622636 wrote:

Secondly, pancakes and cherrios are wheat and nut products. What do mice, rats, voles, squirrrels, RODENTIA eat in the wild?

Depends on the Rodentia in question. Guinea pigs are in the Rodentia family, and they should not have wheat, and it is not part of their natural diet. Most rodentia, in fact, do not tolerate wheat very well since “in the wild” (where yours came from) not much of the grain grows. And when it does, they eat a few kernals at the time, not entire meals of wheat, every day of their lives. Quite a few animals (including humans) do not tolerate wheat either.

I’m also probably placing bets that voles do not have little wheat meals to sit and process wheat in, nor do they grow their own wheat fields.

According to a brief internet search their diet is:

The diet of this vole consists almost entirely of green vegetation and tubers, including many grasses, clover, and plantain. The animal produces grass cuttings as it reaches up and cuts off the stalk, pulls it down and cuts it again, until the seed heads are reached. The vole apparently consumes flowers, leaves, and all but the tough outer layer of the stalk, eating almost its own weight daily.

Surprise surprise, wheat isn’t on the list.

LittleHippyGirl
    Participant

So you don’t want me to mention the food chain to you? You don’t want me to elaborate that saving the bird did little help because some other animal became dinner? I guess I will not then. I do think its foolish for your son to ‘tackle’ a large snake for that reason though.

Okay, so you won’t even call a wildlife rescue for advice? That’s a little extreme, since knowlege does no harm. I’m sure they would be able to help even more than us since it is their job to know about voles, etc. So if you do not listen to us, PLEASE at least give them a call to see what they say.

And by that last comment…I hope to God you are not giving that baby vole chocolate cake. Yes, there is flour in it, but that in no way makes it healthy. Its even unhealthy for us, so why do you think it would be okay to feed that to a very small, wild baby animal? That is like saying vodka is good for us because its got potatos. Chocolate is a very dangerous thing to give to any animal, no matter how much, and I’m surprised that he hasn’t gotten sick from it.

If you are going to keep him, take him to a small animal or exotics vet first. He will be able to test for parasites and other diseases that he, being wild, may very well have.

Honestly I think you started out with very good intentions and I would have done the same. However, rehabilitating and nursing a dehydrated baby vole is different than feeding him chocolate cake.

kittykat05
    Participant

Wow the ignorance of some people.

hitbystars
    Participant

oh my goodness.

Lexx
    Participant

A quick check of the diet of voles in your area turned up: grasses, sedges, seeds, grain, bark, some insects,
    bulbs, tubers, roots and other fresh greens. Also if you are planning on keeping it, once it is full grown you will need to take it to the vet for the proper dosage of Ivermectin (most commonly used, anyways) for the parasites that it most likely has. In the meantime please make sure your son is being properly hygenic after handling the vole.

DragonSpirit
    Participant

Okay, I’m going to give you some advice and not harrass you like some people do.

I suggest, when I had found some baby mice, I used Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR). How old do you think he is?

This is a really good website on taking care of orphaned baby mice (and rats) and shows how much they should be fed and what they should be fed.

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/orphans.htm

Pancakes aren’t the best choice, but atleast your getting something into his body. Its a good thing you took him in though, or he would probably be dead right now.

Try calling a rehab center near you. They could take him in or tell you all the stuff you need to take care of him and they may even have the supplies. Keep in mind though, you need a permit to take keep or even take care of wild animals, and I don’t think they cost that much, but it depend on where you live on what they do cost, if anything.

Hope this helped!!

Teehee
    Participant

First off, I have never, ever seen anyone deliberately avoid proven care facts and continue to feed it fatty, laxative filled foods like pancakes and cheerios. Secondly, it loves being handled you said, right? wrong, it squeaked in protest of being sent into a tiny coffee can for another 5 hours. Chances are if it loves being handled in a “fist” it doesnt actually love being handled at all, in fact it hates being handled because your implying that you have to restrain it in order to keep it in place. I will however, commend you r son for retrieving the animal from danger. However, after that you should have called some sort of wildlife reserve type thing to help give you a grasp on caring for it for temporary time until it can be collected by a profesional.

Oh and I am not going to give you a food chain lecture. However I will give you a “A-snake-such-as-that-needs-to-eat-larger mammals and birds-in-order-to-survive lecture”. You cant just do that. Your stressing the snake for no reason, it needs to eat stuff like that regardless if you approve of that. Surprisingly, the snake could have gone to bed hungry that night, they arent always as lucky with meals as a lot of people seem to believe. Its best left alone. And just because you saw some guy explain how to handle a snake doesnt suddenly void any irresponsable actions. Please, tell your son that isnt right to do.

Jesse

DragonSpirit
    Participant

Okay, I know this is old, but what ever happened to the vole?

hitbystars
    Participant

lol I’d be afraid to ask

suez
    Participant

What happened with your Vole? I have one & have been wondering how long they would live? FYI I called game fish & parks & they told me to look on-line for feeding and care! If any1 is looking for info go to http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=G4448
    they are putting info out there for farmers to help controll them in fields but have great info for feeding & environment, my vole LOVES fruit also.

mitch
    Participant

To the person who’s little boy rescued the baby vole
    Take no notice of people whom don’t understand without your intervention the vole most likely would not of survived the night
    There are laws to protect wildlife
    But it is a offence to let a mammal back into the wild if it doesn’t stand a realistic chance of survival
    So carry on your doing everything right and this little vole is lucky to of been found
    By the way pancake and Cheerios are fine they are natural scavengers and as long as their diet is varied the vole will live a happy long content life

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.