Parakeet digging in the dirt

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Bird Forums Parakeet digging in the dirt

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  beeboprobin 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

beeboprobin
    Participant

Hi. I have a 5 month old parakeet and he has recently started digging the dirt in my spider plant and flinging the dirt everywhere. He gets very dirty and seems to like it. As soon as we let him out of his cage, he goes right to the plant and starts his excavations. He will bite us if we try to get him out of it and he doesn’t normally bite us. So I guess my questions are: Is this normal? Is it ok that he does this? I took some video of him doing this. Thank you in advance for any comments and/or answers.

beeboprobin
    Participant

In all my researching and asking people I know, I found it that it is quite common for them to dig like this in the dirt. It only took 4 day for Lightning to completely destroy a very fine spider plant. I don’t really mind except for the dirt all over the living room. He was so funny because when we got too close he would throw or kick the dirt at us. We rearranged his corner over the weekend and put up a whole bunch of willow branches and some small twigs in the plant hanger and he is having just as much fun. Now he is back to being cleaner again and loves his “new” corner.:p

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.