Question for Molly people

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Fish & Aquarium Forums Question for Molly people

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alasse 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

stina3246
    Participant

So I bought a black molly and platty about 3 months ago and the very next day the molly gave birth to about 20 fry. I removed all the fry because i know they may eat thier young. Well, the platty died about 2 days later but the molly seems fine. I ended up keeping one of the fry and once he was big enough I put him back in with mom. He’s still very tiny, less then an inch long but big enough to run from her however she has never tried to eat him. Well about 2 days ago (3 1/2 months after purchasing her) she gave birth to about 7 more fry! Could her tiny little “son” (don’t actually know if it’s a boy or not….too young.) have gotten her pregnant? Or could she just still have sperm left from the previous pregnancy? I haven’t been able to find anything about this happening. I decided to leave her and all her fry together for now, she is pretty docile and shows no interest in eating her young. They all seem healthy and are eating well.

Alasse
    Participant

Livebearers often store sperm, you may find she will have multiple births before a male would again be required

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.