Rabbit?

Home Forums Rabbit Forums Rabbit?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tricia 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Chillie
    Participant

hi,

I was thinking of getting a rabbit and I was wondering is there anything important I need to know?

Thanx,
    Chillie

blister
    Participant

You need to know so much. Rabbits are not “easy” pets. Check out: http://www.rabbit.org and read through all the info. It is very important to get all the info before buying a rabbit. Blister smile.gif

angelbebe12
    Participant

firt off, buying a rabbit is dirt cheap, about $20-$40. but rabbits are infamous for being money suckers. i buy rabbit pellets, $7 a bag but with $10 worth of vegetables a week and another $10 a month for hay, it’s expensive. rabbits have fragile immune systems, which mean visits to the vet all the time. Rabbits eat every wire you own, which depending on the wires can be extremely expensive. they will eat newspapers, homework, term papers, clothes, etc. and guess what, litter training is no fun. i suggest you read a lot about owning a rabbit before you make your decision because if you’re willing to deal with this and a WHOLE lot more for the next 8 years, you’ll need information. i should have known about this before but now i have 3 rabbits and i’m just barely able to feed myself! if you want something cute and much less hassle, i would suggest a guinea pig. i have two of them and they are just the most wonderful pets in the world. they only chew on my carpet, which is fine because it’s an ugly carpet anyway.

Chillie
    Participant

thanx everyone for the info I don’t think it will be to hard because I have a chinchilla and those are harder to take care of thanx anyway.

Thanx,
    Chillie

Tricia
    Participant

Angelbebe where do you get those high priced rabbit pellets? I pay $6.40 for 50 lb bag- if you buy a 25 lb bag at the feed store its much more economical that a PetSmart which at least triples the price of feed even though they are selling you less- its called consumer education! go to a feed store and ask them to have the hay that falls off the bales- they’ll give it to you- don’t buy the high priced ‘crap’ that the pet stores sell in little bags- also they do NOT need vegetables- feed pellets, hay and a tsp a day of Quaker oats or horse oats (if you have a lot of other animals that will eat them too) and they will be fine! Once a month I buy a bag of horse carrots from the grocery stores (they are a lower grade because they are knarley) and cost less!

Tricia
    Participant

I forget to say if buy a 25 lb bag you can put in a container with a lid or a small metal trash can- if you only one rabbit you can even freeze it in 5 lb bags and then use them accordingly- buy a nice dark green pellet – make sure CORN is not an ingredient and check the date on the bag for freshness

angelbebe12
    Participant

i get the purina brand Rabbit Chow, it’s about $7 for a 25 lb. bag, but it’s no frills and i’m not about to have an unhealthy rabbit so i supplement their diet with lots of vegetables like parsely (their favorite), romaine, and carrots. when they’re being especially sweet, i give them pieces of apples or bananas. i know i know, it’s not good for them, i used to give them more bananas but i got yelled at by the vet so i just stick to small pieces of apples. i’m surprised they’ll eat most things. i’ve given them strawberries, kale, collard greens, grapes. they’ll nibble most of the time because they are novel foods. Anyway, i think it’s so important to supplement a rabbit’s diet with vegetables. my rabbits have the shiniest fur on them and they look so healthy. i’m very proud of them. i bought a rabbit last week and she was so thin. i felt i had to rescue her from the pet store. since i’ve gotten her, she finally looks healthy. the poor thing must have been living on a diet of pellets only!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.