Riding lessons-need input

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Trainer Riding lessons-need input

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Theo4life 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Chelsea20
    Participant

Please help! I need your input. I am a 20 year old college student and I have been riding hunters/jumpers, taking lessons and showing since I was 8 years old. This coming summer, I plan to offer beginning thru. intermediate hunter seat (english) riding lessons to people with horses at thier homes or at barns that do not have trainers. I would commute to teach them at thier own places. However I have some questions:
    1.) Do you think there is a demand for this?
    2.) What do you think would be a fair per student per hour lesson rate to charge?
    3.)Do I need some kind of insurance coverage? If so what do I need and where do I get it?
    4.)I have some advertising ideas already but I would like more ideas if you would like to offer them.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Chelsea:D

PyscoFalcon
    Participant

Do you have a qulifacation in teaching? i’m not sure if the same applies over there as here but before anyone can teach riding, especially if getting money for it, you have to pass the BHS teachers exam. There’s 5 stages for this exam and only when you’ve passed and got insureance can you then start teaching.

Chelsea20
    Participant

As far as I know there are no qualifications here in the US that you have to meet. I have taught beginning lessons under a previous trainer before.

PyscoFalcon
    Participant

I would find out from your trainer or the American equvalent of the British Horse Sociaty.

Better to be safe then sorry.

Nevertoomany
    Participant

Technically you are correct.

Any idiot can teach riding and many do.

However — once you accept money you will no longer be an amateur. .
    If you do not have a degree from a college in riding instruction and you didn’t intern at a large/serious barn then what makes you qualified to teach?

Do you know anything about confirmation??
    Do you hold a judges card?
    Have you ever taken classes or been part of any breed or $H jusdging team, Hippology team or horse bowl?http://petshub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4185&goto=newpost

Are you a memeber of AHSA? or any horse governing body?

Yes you will need insurance! and it is VERY expensive. And without any real qualifications you may not get it.

what are you going to use as references?

How will you handle a problem horse? What will do do if someone gets hurt?

I suggest you start as an inturn with a qualified teacher or go to one of the colleges that teach horsemanship first.

Nevertoomany
    Participant

Technically you are correct.

Any idiot can teach riding and many do.

However — once you accept money you will no longer be an amateur. .
    If you do not have a degree from a college in riding instruction and you didn’t intern at a large/serious barn then what makes you qualified to teach?

Do you know anything about confirmation??
    Do you hold a judges card?
    Have you ever taken classes or been part of any breed or $H jusdging team, Hippology team or horse bow

Are you a memeber of AHSA? or any horse governing body?

Yes you will need insurance! and it is VERY expensive. And without any real qualifications you may not get it.

what are you going to use as references?

How will you handle a problem horse? What will do do if someone gets hurt?

I suggest you start as an intern with a qualified teacher or go to one of the colleges that teach horsemanship first.

And most importantly know what you DON”T know. And fill in the gaps.

Chelsea20
    Participant

Nevertoomany,

Thank you for your reply, but you did not answer any of my questions. I understand your concern, but I feel it was a little presumptious of you to assume that I would consider teaching riding lessons with no exceptional experience. I am a member of the AHSA, IHJA, and now the IHSA (intercollgiate horse show association). When I was younger, I did 4-H. I have successfully competed in AHSA A-rated show up until college. I have worked under a two successful grand prix riders (one AGA rookie of the year), and one retired grand prix rider. I have cared for and brought a long my own off-the track throroughbred for the past 7 years. As for dealing with “problem horses,” most problems stem from riding mistakes, and I have worked with many hot horses in my past including my own horse. When it comes to someone getting hurt I would do as any decent trainer would do and call for emergency help. If it makes you rest easier I am also certified by the American Red Cross in CPR. As for learning things I DON’T know: No one knows all there is to know about riding and horses, and I continue to read, take lessons, attend clinic, and further educate myself and will continue to do so in the future.

I originally posted my message for advice not to let someone vent about unqualified riding instructors.

Chelsea

Nevertoomany
    Participant

You did not make your quilifications very clear. Still you are not certified so Isuggest you get a certification from one of the organizations you belong too.

You MAY NOT be able to get insurance but if you can:

You must contact AHSA and have your status changed to professional. Then ask them — or any of the others — what the laws are governing insurance and liablility IN YOUR STATE.

This is important as every state is different.
    Make sure you have a LEGAL contract that every person you teach must sign.

Any of the horse organizations you are a memeber of can give you all the information you need
    Have whomever you have studied with give you letters of recomendation. This may help.

GuineaPigGrrrl
    Participant

Hey! Well.. I used to ride under the instruction of a uncertified coach, she was one of my best teachers.
    I think the idea about a contract is a MUST it is very important, I heard about a girl who rode at a new stable, they put her on a horse who reared and she broke her back, she’s ok now but she swed them just like that.
    What to charge. well here lessons go from about 20-35 dollars canadian dollars, I pay 26 where I ride. The place I used to go with the uncertified coach I payed 15 dollars but I got such a great base for riding I am incredibly lucky.
    umm avertising, any recreational place, tack stores, feed stores, hmm i wouldn’t sugest other barns lol that may not be too great competition wise.. um the telephone guide, mailboxes, and the recreational booklets that are sometimes delievered throughout cities. I really hope that helped, don’t give up I”m sure you’d make a fine teacher!

lovechick
    Participant

Where I take lessons, they charge$ 29.50 for 1 lesson thats lasts 1/2 hour. and for 1 hour lesson its $ 39.50

Theo4life
    Participant

The barn I ride at is $45 for 1 hr group, $35 for 1/2 hr group and $65 for an hour private and $45 for 1/2 hr private. My advice, don’t charge too much or alot of people will leave or loose their interest.:)

Runky
    Participant

This is old but…

At my barn it’s like $35 a lesson (the lessons tend to vary in length). Or we pay monthly for 2 lessons a week for a hundred something dollars. (:

Rat101010101010
    Participant

Sorry ‘cos this is old.
    My old stable was – like – 40pounds a lesson.
    Only if that was in “dollars” it’d be… say…$80.
    Lol.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.