Roborovski Hamsters?

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Hamster Forums Roborovski Hamsters?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dash 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Nature freak
    Participant

My Syrian hamster died about 2 months ago and I feel well enough now to get another hamster. I have owned about 5 of the Syrian hamster and I think I am ready to move on to a dwarf. It’s seems hard to find information out there by educated people so I figured I’d ask here.

Are dwarfs really more bitey than the mellow Syrians?

Do they have to be kept in pairs or are they happy alone?

No sugar, right?

How close do the cage bars need to be?

Are they easy to tame?

Do they really go wild with no interaction for 2 weeks?

Those are general questions for a Russian dwarf. I’ve started to contemplate Robo hamsters but I know nothing about them. Are they harder to tame than a Russian dwarf? Do they escape easily?

I’m not normally this ignorant about hamsters but it’s been a while since I considered anything different than my mellow Syrian boys.

Thank you so much to who ever possibly responds to this. It’s sad how empty this forum is now.

Dash
    Participant

Are dwarfs really more bitey than the mellow Syrians?
    Dwarfs are usually only more bitey if they are kept in a small cage. They become territorial and defend their space. That’s why its SO important to give them a large enough cage. I usually recommend aquarium since it’s nearly impossible for them to escape from. The minimum tank size for any hamster is considered a 20 gallon long(not a tall/high). If you don’t want to use a tank just google the measurements so you get what I mean.

Do they have to be kept in pairs or are they happy alone?
    They can be kept alone if you want. If you want a pair please check this article out:
    http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24143

No sugar, right?
    Yep. They’re prone to diabetes so avoid corn, peas, carrots, fruits and store bought treats.

How close do the cage bars need to be?
    At least a cm for younger dwarfs, especially robos.

Are they easy to tame?
    All of mine have been but robos can be really hard to tame since they’re so skittish.

Do they really go wild with no interaction for 2 weeks?
    Myth. In my experience this is def. a myth.

Are they harder to tame than a Russian dwarf? Do they escape easily?
    They can escape easily if the bars are not close enough together which is why I recommend either tanks or bin cages.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.