Screaming, Agressive, Feather Plucking Macaw Help?

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Bird Forums Screaming, Agressive, Feather Plucking Macaw Help?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alasse 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Rat Trap
    Participant

Screaming, Agressive, Feather Plucking Macaw Help?

Hello all. I am somewhat new to the bird world. I was recently given a Scarlet Macaw named Sinbad who has some emotional issues. He is fearful of humans, aggressive, possessive, and plucks his feathers and screams a lot. I am curious on what are the best techniques to remedy some of these issues. In his last home he wasn’t spent much time with, so he’s not used to people. He’s very protective of his cage and his toys as well and doesn’t like you to touch them. I can handle the daily loud vocalizations of a normal healthy Macaw, but he screams in excess, and for seemingly little reason. I assume he does it for attention or out of frustration, but he’s not too keen on being interacted with and nips and bites. I am home all day long, so I have plenty of time for him, but he doesn’t seem to want my affection as of yet. I really would love to see him someday a happy bird, and as of right now he just seems generally pretty miserable with himself. Any helpful tips, articles, links, books, etc. would be extremely appreciated! I just want him to be happy and content with himself and his surroundings. If someday he could be a nice companion, that would be all the more better!

A Somewhat Distraught New Parrot Parent,
    ~Cyove <3

kimf
    Participant

You may like to join & try asking in this forum:
    http://parrotchat.proboards.com/index.cgi?

There are quite a few members who have macaws & rescues with emotional issues. I am sure they would be able to help you there.

Good luck.

Rat Trap
    Participant

MODS PLEASE DELETE

Thank you, this topic can be deleted now.

I tried to change the topic title to MODS PLEASE DELETE, but it won’t let me edit it, so I’m not sure how to.

Alasse
    Participant

Mod are not overly active here….so chances are this thread will stay hereforever *LOL*

Just ignore it and it will drop futher into the archives

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.