Strange mold/bacteria on food!

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Hermit Crab Forums Strange mold/bacteria on food!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FastBeat85 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Misirlou
    Participant

I put in some carrots for my hermit crabs and a few days later, I noticed some had a strong, rotten spearmint smell. Some were clumped together, and either had white or white with a blue tint dots on them. I immidiately removed the food. What kind of mold, bacteria or whatever- is this?

FastBeat85
    Participant

I don’t know what type the mold is but I can tell you where it came from, the carrots and the humidity in the tank.
    When ever you offer fresh food you must always remove it within twentyfour hours so as to prevent the mold from occuring.
    I offer carrots, cooked maccoroni elbows (no seasoning or cheese.), lettuce, bananas, apples, grapes and watermelon.
    I am thinking of trying papaya and a fish product called silver sides as additional foods.
    You can fry up an egg but dont season it and give that to your hermies as a high protien source and you can save the egg shell rinse it out with plain tap water and then dry with a papertowle, the egg shell is an excelent source of calcium.
    WARNING!!!!! Never use skillets with a teflon coating to cook your hermies food in becasue the teflon is partially transfered into the food being cooked and will kill your hermies.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.