Transition a fancy mouse companion in w/ a wild mouse?

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Mouse Forums Transition a fancy mouse companion in w/ a wild mouse?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jazzsmom 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mandafrank
    Participant

Hi, I need to know how to introduce a fancy mouse companion in with my wild mouse.

I stumbled on my wild mouse when my cat attacked her and I rescued her. She wasn’t visibly injured, but definitely in shock. I ended up keeping her and she’s doing well … she’s got a 1 x 2 x 1 ft. wire cage to herself. I have yet to see her eat, although I provided her with mouse feed, peanut butter, and grape and apricot halves. She drinks from her water bottle when I take it off the cage and guide it to her mouth.

She lets me pet and hold her. I have been bit 3 times, each only because she jumped and I had to really snatch her up and frightened her.

She is active at night and she is using the bathroom regularly and often, like most healthy mice. I’m guessing she eats at night when she feels safest?

ANYWAYS, I plan to keep her as she’s pretty friendly and quite cute. I’d prefer to get her a fancy mouse rather than try and “catch” her a friend … the idea creeps me out. I stumbled on this mouse, but going out and catching one is just kind of … creepy.

The fancy mouse will be a female too, and the cage is definitely big enough for them to keep their space. The female I have now has only been in the cage for a few days. When I do get the other fancy mouse, it will be in about a week. By then, I will be pretty sure that my current mouse is disease-free … (they die within 1-2 weeks of anything nasty they carry, I’m told).

Tips? Should I rearrange the cage? Should I divide the cage till I get a feel for how they’ll interact?

Deermouse
    Participant

Most wild mice tend to be very healthy. As for getting a companion, that may depend on what type of wild mouse you have. Wild deer mice usually get along well with petstore mice. other types may not. When introducing them, you should do so in a clean cage and keep a close eye on them for a few days to make sure they are getting along well. if there is any fighting, you should separate them.

good luck,
    paul

mandafrank
    Participant

Thanks for the advice 🙂 I introduced them in a bath tub and the feeder albino mouse I bought definitely did some squeaking, which frightened the wild one. However, after about half an hour, they were fine and now they even sleep together (even though they’ve got at least three “houses” in their cage).

jazzsmom
    Participant

You are telling my story exactly, except I’ve had my wild mouse since it was 2 weeks old and he’s 5 weeks old now. I did some research on this question for the last week until I felt comfortable that I knew enough to be ready for anything. Today I went to a distant pet store after calling around to pick up a fancy mouse that would be about the same size and female for a companion to my wild field mouse. The way to introduce them to one another is to have a neutral place, a place that doesn’t have the scent of either mouse. I used a deep Rubbermaid tub and I mean deep because these wild mice can really jump. I had to fashion a screen over the top because my wild little guy was almost able to jump all the way to the top. I put clean Aspen wood chips in, a bowl of fresh water, and a single paper towel tube so they could hide from eachother if they felt threatened. I put them where I could sit and watch them without missing a beat and let them spend about an hour together. Tomorrow I will put them together again a couple of times when they’re both awake. Meanwhile I will clean out the habitat thoroughly to rid it of all scent and if they get along, they will go in together. Also rub a drop of vanilla extract on your fingers before handling both of them so that they have a common scent. Seriously, be sure to really clean the cage before putting them in together.

If yours are both female you should have no problem. Males are a lot more territorial than females. My wild one is unfortunately a male so I bought a young female. I guess we’ll be having some babies one day. I must say though, I was surprised at how much bigger the eyes are on the wild mouse than on the fancy. I hope I’m not making a mistake. Oh, well, so far so good. During thier first hour together they just danced arounds eachother. It was really cute to watch!

Deermouse
    Participant

It sounds like you did your research. Here’s a couple of things you may have missed. You mentioned that you are “surprised at how much bigger the eyes are on the wild mouse than on the fancy”. That is because the wild mouse is probably a deer mouse or other white footed species.

Male deer mice are not like male house mice (fancy mice are house mice). Deer mice are a completely different species, not even closely related to house mice, not even in the same family, so they can’t breed with house mice. House mice are in the family Muridae – Old World mice and rats, gerbils, whistling rats, and relatives; Deer mice are in the family Cricetidae – New World rats and mice, voles, hamsters, and relatives. You won’t have any babies from these mice (unless I am mistaken about him not being a house mouse, I haven’t seen a picture).

The other thing is that male deer mice are mush less territorial than male house mice, less aggressive towards other males and less stinky too. You can often house male deer mice with male house mice without problems. Apparently the male house mice don’t view the male deer mice as a threat, probably because they don’t have the right smell. Of course all mice are individual and I have seen aggressive deer mice so you should always take proper precautions as you did.

house mouse: http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Mus_musculus.html

deer mouse: http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Peromyscus_maniculatus.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.