which bedding?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dash 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

3blindmice
    Participant

im tryin to pick out the best bedding for my daughters hamster collection. she’s got five so i need a bedding with high absorbancy and i also would like it to trap in odors. any suggestions???

Dash
    Participant

Carefresh is very absorbent and safe. Aspen shavings are safe too and any paper based bedding is also safe. Avoid pine, cedar, ‘UK pine’/spruce or any other softwood shavings as they contain phenols (that nice smell) which causes respiratory problems.

ratbrat21
    Participant

Dash
    Participant

As accurate a site as PETA. lol

ratbrat21
    Participant

what makes you say that? Just because they say kiln dried pine is safe? I use kiln dried pine and I have had no problems. It was actually when I started using aspen when I had issues. Carefresh is a joke, I would say aspen is way better then carefresh.

Dash
    Participant

How is carefresh a joke? It’s over priced but there are tonnes of other options for paper based bedding that is way cheaper and just as good.

Some small animals can be allergic to aspen but it doesn’t mean that all will be. I’ve used aspen for years for many hamsters, gerbils, mice & rats and I have only ever had a problem when I started out on pine. My sister continued to use pine for her hamster and he died, she took him to the vet before hand to see what was wrong with him and his lungs were as bad as a smokers lung is after years of smoking, thought simply damaged and not filled with a tar like substance.

Kiln dried bedding is ok though not the safest option, it is better than using regular softwood buddings of course. It is kiln dried to get rid of the dangerous phenols so it’s ok. If I used it I would air it out to try and further remove any left over phenols.

ratbrat21
    Participant

well I have friends who use carefresh and they have to change it much more often and it just stinks real bad after like the first day it seems. When I use to breed gerbils all I used was pine. I used pine for all my rodents before in the past. I stopped because people told me not to use it. But I never once had a sick rodent. I am counting rats in this too. I even had rats living 4 years. I didnt get rats again until i was married. Then I started useing aspen and my rats werent living near as long and they kept getting URI’s. Now this might just be genetics but I have no way to know for sure. Its just weird how the rats I had in the past were raised on pine and nothing ever happened. Like I said it could just be genetics. I personally have to use kiln dried pine because as many cages as I have I cant afford aspen. I wouldnt use pine unless it stated on the bag that it was kiln dried. I never did this in the past but i dont wanna take any chances. Anyways thats my opinion and thats all we can offer here is our opinions. Because someone or some website is always gonna contradict whatever you say or whatever I say. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.