Young Hamsters Problems.

Helping Pet Lovers Since 1999 Forums Hamster Forums Young Hamsters Problems.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  peppermint0407 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

peppermint0407
    Participant

I’ve just gotten two hamsters yesterday and I’m experiencing some problems.

Firstly, they were kept in a cage without any wheel or water bottle, whatsoever, so I think that they do not know how to use the items. I’m currently finding a water dish as a replacement for the water bottle before I can find ways to train them.

Secondly, one of the hamsters is more aggressive and sometimes bites me when I am holding him. I’m afraid that it will attack the other. However, I think that they are both females and so I’m unsure if it will attack or not.

P.S. They’re both about two-three weeks old.

Thank you. (:

Dash
    Participant

If they are syrian hamsters, also called black bears, teddy bears, normal, regular, and panda bears then they need to be separated. Syrians are loners by nature and will fight to the death if kept together. Even if they do not seem to be fighting right away than their immune system will be lowered due to the constant stress of living with another hamster and they may become ill.

If they are dwarf hamsters then be sure to read through this topic (at least the first post): http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24143

Besides that two to three weeks old is far too young for them to be away from their parents. You need to be feeding them high-protein foods until they reach about 5-6 weeks of age. Foods supplemented with their regular seed mix/lab blocks and veggies such as plain chicken, soy milk and tofu.

They will figure out the wheel and the water bottle soon enough. Don’t keep the water dish for long they don’t stay clean very long and a hamster getting wet is dangerous. If the water bottle is low enough than they will figure it out soon enough.

peppermint0407
    Participant

Thank you. (:

I think my hamsters have figured out the water bottle, and I’m not if they are fighting or whatsoever, because a hamster always follows the other wherever it goes. What does it mean?

Dash
    Participant

It sounds like they’re just getting used to their surroundings. The one that is following is probably just a little nervous. 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.